Electrocuted by hedge trimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this has already been posted.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8276740.Ringer_mum_electrocuted_by_hedge_trimmer/

It's all a bit vague, but it reads as if the cable was extended with the plugs connected in reverse (exposed metal plug pins on the supply side and socket on the appliance side). This would be a form of widow maker? That's really tragic especially as it's plausible that you would not be able to see that it's wired in reverse until you actually separate it – and it’s live when you do that…

Aside from the incorrect wiring, being barefoot would not help. Leaving aside the obvious dangers of using electrical tools outside, who use something like a hedge trimmer without shoes on - I mean what if you drop it? Then again, I've seen plenty of people who continue to cut the grass with electric mowers when it starts to rain, pointless risk taking.

I'm surprised that her son did not receive an electric shock. Makes you wonder if the supply overloaded and tripped or blew a fuse or if it was still live but he did not come into contact with it. Very sad that three young children will be without a mother because of a bit of dodgy wiring.

Sponsored Links
she probably dropped the live end when she fell down dead.. but yes, good job the kid didn't come into contact with the live end if it didn't blow the fuse..

you're right about the barefoot bit though.. kind of stupid.. if for no other reason than you'll be stepping on the hedge trimmings.. gotta expect splinters at least..

The article says it all really (well, most of it).

He said it could have been prevented by a circuit breaker being fitted to the consumer unit in the house or by a cheap plug-in circuit breaker available from DIY stores.

They mean RCD, not circuit breaker but every home should have and be using one..

I fully agree but whoever made up the widowmaker (the father?) has a lot to answer for.

Sponsored Links
Not to be pedantic, but didn't it say they had been given the trimmer some years ago, as was?

well of course the dad is going to say that rather than " I cut through the cord the first time I used it so I went and bought one of those inline plugs for it and fitted it myself"..
he's hardly going to accept responsibility and leave himself open to legal action by the womans family etc.. or even prosecution for wrongfull death or death by negligence or whatever they could nail him for..

Imagine the guilt you'd be feeling if you'd made that Widowmaker.

The sad thing is, nothing will change as a result of this accident.

I'm only speculating here, but there must be more to it than the widow maker. The pins on those 2 pin connectors are usually still shrouded somewhat by the housing, so she could only have made brief contact with the pins. They're not exactly in a position that would cause her to grip the pins to maintain contact for any significant period. I guess she may have had a heart condition though.

you don't need to hold the pins for a long time, a glancing touch would do it in the right circumstances..

right bare foot of earth and left hand should do it as the path is right through the heart then..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back