electrocution of apprentice in Oldham

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this year in, Oldham, an electrical apprentice was electrocuted in the CU area . At issue was the service fuse, apparently an old type that had a split design so that one could pull the fuse but leave the system still live.
Anyhow, thats how i understood the newspaper report.
Does anyone have any comments or a pic of such a fuse arrangement?

Sponsored Links
could be he had both the live and neutral fused and only pulled the fuse on the neutral

electrocute [Show phonetics]
verb [T often passive]
to kill someone by causing electricity to flow through their body:
He was electrocuted when he touched the bare wires.

electrocution [Show phonetics]
noun [C or U]

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary

)electric shock noun [C]
a sudden, painful feeling that you get when electricity flows through your body

(from Cambridge Learner's Dictionary)

there is a subtle difference

Sponsored Links
Or not, depending on your dictionary:

electrocute [i léktr? kyoot] (3rd person present singular electrocutes, present participle electrocuting, past electrocuted, past participle electrocuted) transitive verb

injure or kill with electric shock: to cause injury or death with an electric shock

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Thank god I read encarta. That'll be why I'm still alive after being electrocuted many times. :LOL:

Anyhow Tom, we still want to know, did he die?

Stoday said:
Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Are you seriously going to trust Microsoft to tell you what words mean?

Plugwash, that was my thinking. But following a pic some weeks ago, showing a kind of fuse with only the live actually fused i wondered how the CU could still be live with the fuse pulled?
Are you saying that there is in fact a type of split-head double fuse? Where could i see one?

Unfortunately, he did die and the information came from a coroners report in the newspaper.

Was the apprentice working unsupervised??!!

No, he was supervised by a tradesman in the next room who "heard a noise" and then went to investigate.

1) he was unsupervised as the tradesman (electrician?) was in the room next door
2) He shouldn't have been working on live gear anyway, in other words the circuit should have been tested beforehand to make sure it was dead.

I would say if the tradesman was a sparks then he was for the high jump on this one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back