Electroheat Amptec Electric boiler - no CHtg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
18 months ago, my daughter moved to a block of flats built about 4 years ago.

HW and CH is via an Electroheat Amptec C900 electric boiler (fitted as standard, I believe). Hers is in a hallway cupboard linked to an Oso hotwater cylinder. Cylinder is about 4/5 feet tall with a red (expansion?) chamber fitted over it and a pressure clock which she says has always been set at 1.5 thingies as required. Honeywell programmer sits on wall just outside for timings.

Although it gives hot water to taps, the central heating side has been very erratic, often failing completely. The building management people offer no advice or repair contacts. She had different people out to fix it to no avail. The last heating engineer then fitted a new PCB into the Amptec box in Dec 2005, saying that the main PCB cables to the elements had ‘ burnt out’. £300+ paid for new PCB and £75 callout. This seemed to get it going again, but was still occasionally erratic. CH was not used during summer; now no CH when switched on. Hot water fine.

She says all supply switches are on. The Amptec unit has the Supply light illuminated, but the Call light which is supposed to flash does not light at switch on and there is no ‘whoosh’ sound . The Heat light does not come on. The alarm light has never illuminated. I don’t know how it’s pumped, but she says rads are all bled.

If it is the circuit board failed again, I guess the guy who fitted it should replace it under warranty. She can’t afford engineers to just experiment with parts at her expense without properly identifying the fault. Any suggestions?

Sorry, no photos until I visit later today. Looks like another £75 callout plus parts in prospect, but I’d welcome some advance advice if poss. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
If the Amptec is still heating the water, it may just be the motor in one of these
3port-1pimple.gif

which has packed up. Got one of them?

ChrisR - Thanks for rapid reply and illustration (of pump I presume). I'll check when I go over there today. I guess I should hear some initial noise as it kicks in - the 'whoosh' as my daughter calls it. Would failure of that component have any bearing on "PCB cables to elements burning out". Or would faulty PCB have caused a pump malfunction?

Her flat is all on one floor and so rads all at same level. Not even getting luke warm.

I'll update later. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Htg engineer visited today and checked PCB operation by trying it with 2 new ones. Left working ok. Intermittent problem on calling for heat. Takes 3 full minutes from switch on at the Honeywell CM67 timer on wall to production of any heat in the Amptec unit - is this normal?).

Engr suggested maybe the Honeywell timer may have poor contacts and could be replaced easily and cheaply if problem recurs. Fingers crossed.

(Correction to my ££s in first post. £300 for PCB and callout inclusive)

ChrisR - it had a Wilo Gold50 pump whic seems fine. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back