Electrolysis in lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a section of lead pipe and join back onto lead as replacing it completely isn't an option. I vaguely remember from my college days that you can't go from lead to copper then back onto lead again as this causes electrolysis.
The problem I have is the customer has an aversion to plastic pipe due to a previous bad experience with poorly fitted hep. I'm not sure if using barrel has the same effect as copper when joined between lead. Are there any other alternative pipe materials that would do the job and be within regs?

Sponsored Links
You won't have a problem.
Galv iron would be a problem but not lead to copper.
Just think of all the fittings sweated with leaded solder :eek:

You won't have a problem.
Galv iron would be a problem but not lead to copper.
Just think of all the fittings sweated with leaded solder :eek:
Galv. wouldn`t be a problem either - most old systems piped in Galv. and lead tails ;) The only problem would be the HSE and the Thought Police - so don`t think what youre doing when you make that ILLEGAL taft joint with Grade D Leaded solder :eek: :mrgreen: PS I`ve got the threading AND wiping kit if you need to hire it ;)

Sponsored Links
How I miss the smell of Tallow.

Think I must go to the garage and have a sniff. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back