electronic problem i think, tv not getting power !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i know there aint a electroincs section but wonder if anyone can help, my tv not getting power sometimes when you switch it on, i know nothing bout electronics, but when i taken cover of the back of unit i see a transistor which seems to have some white stuff burst out of it.

i think this may be the problem here is a pic

DSC00002-1.jpg

DSC00001-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
That component is a capacitor, the electrolyte inside doesn't look like that, I suspect the white stuff is silicone or similar dropped on the PCB during manufacture of the tv. So I doubt it's the source of your problem.

Very dangerous voltages exist in tv sets, even when they're off - be careful.

I'd advise getting someone with experience to look at it or dump it.

Sorry, I meant recycle it.

If you know nothing about electronics ( it is a capacitor ) then as gman76 advises get someone else in or re-cycle the set.

It appears to be a switched mode power supply. These can be a right %&^%$%$%%£ to fix,

Note there is a printed "fire risk" notice on the board. They are not put there without reason. A partial repair without the right test equipment and the unit may fail any in a catastrophic way,

Who manufactures the set and what model is it? should be written on the back.
What tools/test equipment do you have? you'll need a multimeter and a decent soldering iron oh and a steady hand.

Is it worth repairing???

Lee

Sponsored Links
it is a techwood tv, i would really like it fixed because i have just finished raggling walls to hide all cables.
i maybe will have someone take a look at it !!

where could i take it, not like the good old days when radio rentals and such places existed !

An independent outfit is your best bet - few & far between, one still exists in my local town.

Good luck!

It's a Vestel manufactured set, parts and technical knowledge are barely obtainable for these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back