Electroplating with copper

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have stained and varnished a hardwood floor. The BZP screws don't look right, I was thinking of copper-plating some screw heads, in the hope that they will tone down to a reddish-brown. I have plenty of scrap copper and copper sulphate.

I have some BZP screws, and some stainless A2 ones. Is there any reason why I can't plate onto them? The screws are all countersunk so won't get much abrasion. The floor is in a bathroom so I don't want to use plain steel screws, they might rust from occasional drips and splashes. I don't want to use brass screws as they are weak and might be damaged when tightened down firmly.

Sponsored Links
thanks. Coating on stainless looks complicated. I wonder if BZP would work.

Sponsored Links
copper-plating some screw heads, in the hope that they will tone down to a reddish-brown.

they might rust

Copper won't go a reddish-brown!...

tips-visiting-statue-liberty-front--768x1024.jpg

Maybe some acrylic paint mixed up to match the colour might work?

yes, I've been looking at cans of metallic bronze car lacquer today.

Copper won't go a reddish-brown!...

Have a look in your pocket. Take out a 2p piece. What colour is it? Not green, I'm sure.

yes, I've been looking at cans of metallic bronze car lacquer today.

Have a look in your pocket. Take out a 2p piece. What colour is it? Not green, I'm sure.

Because they are subject to constant abrasion. But why not try copper or bronze coloured enamel paint?

because they are not subject to acid rain and industrial pollution. Same as my brass doorknobs and the bronze handle on my front door. And my copper pipes. Any green suggests a leak or a careless plumber not cleaning the flux off.

because they are not subject to acid rain and industrial pollution. Same as my brass doorknobs and the bronze handle on my front door. And my copper pipes. Any green suggests a leak or a careless plumber not cleaning the flux off.

Different things. The green colour of church roofs is caused by the copper slowly turning to copper carbonate from atmospheric co2. The green colour on your pipes is as you rightly say caused by acidic flux turning the copper to copper phosphate.

I think I have a few left over from boatbuilding, but have not seen them on sale for a long time. The price is shocking. Does anybody use them now that A4 Stainless is so cheap?

I think I have a few left over from boatbuilding, but have not seen them on sale for a long time. The price is shocking. Does anybody use them now that A4 Stainless is so cheap?

Yes, for 2 reasons. Stainless steel requires exposure to air to maintain its corrosion proofing and secondly the shank of silicon bronze screws are slightly broader than the thread. Silicon bronze is still much preferred in chandlery due to these properties. Though admittedly they are much more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back