Fixing into concrete block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making a big shed base at the moment and my foundations are small pads of concrete with a foundation block cemented on top. These blocks will be mostly in the ground.

So the block will be damp. I intend on screwing a base baton of treated timber to each line of pad stones. I will then screw my new floor frame onto these timber beams.

Do you know if masonry frame fixings could be used to hold the base timber plates down onto the foundation blocks ? Or do i really need to use stainless steel fixings.

I would like to use these things in the link because you don't need a plug as they just bite into the concrete.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-120mm-100-pack/9008h

Sponsored Links
That is exactly what I would use without question. Drill a clearance hole in the timber first as this fixing doesn't like to pull things up and will easily strip its grip on the block. I would put a damp proof membrane between the wood and the block as this will help keep the timber dry. Fred.

Generally gravity should do the job shouldn't it, not sure you'd screw through the dpc normally. You could strap them down if you were worried about high winds but I'd be reluctant to have a penetration in my dpc somewhere enclosed.

Sheds don't need bolting down.

Avoid having timber permanently damp or in the ground.

Sponsored Links
Ok, but my thoughts are the block will be in the ground and surround by gravel, so well drained. I will lay a dPC under my first timber bearer and this will sit on the block and proud of the earth. The actual frame for the floor will then screw into these bearers. All wood will be treated and i am sure minimum moisture content will travel up the screw and damage the wood.

Fine, but remember that treated timber is only treated on the outside, so if you drill, it isn't treated inside the hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back