Elemental Survey?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a ground floor damp issue** and after a few builders have looked at it I am none the wiser as to the cause and solution since they have all said different things.

Being advised to get a surveyor, RICS registered, he has offered to do an elemental building survey. What should I ask him before going ahead?

** Concrete ground floor. Over several years half the wooden skirting has rotten away in one room and another unconnected room and the wall paint peels off. The walls don't feel wet to touch. There is also a small fine crack in the floor of one room that has rotten away the carpet.

Sponsored Links
An Elemental survey that sounds like something that might need an exorcist!

In some areas there is a problem with "Red Ash" it was a cheap aggregate use in solid floors that has since been found to degrade and cause damp cracks and even bumps to appear in the floor, speak to your local council (a lot are ex Local Authority houses) they will know if it is a problem in your area. The simplest possibility is a faulty Damp Course, none at all, or the ground or render bridging it.

I would speak to neighbors with the same type of house and see if they have had trouble and how they fixed it first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back