New floorboards or concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 1930's semi. The ground floor has kitchen, hall, under stairs cupboard and toilet all with concrete floor and front room with wooden joists and floor boards.

After lifting the front room floor boards I discovered a number of rotten wooden joists. (I expected this and it is no big shock). My neighbour said that the soil floor under his front room (60cm void between joists and soil) often has water in it due to low water level.

Now, I will be putting an extension on the rear of the property with a new concrete floor I am going to dig up the remaining concrete floors replacing with dpm, insulation and new concrete/screed etc.

My question is, should I
A)Replace the rotten wooden joists with new wooden ones and put new floor boards down - fixing any loose bricks and ensuring vents are nice and clean and good ventilation under floor.
or
B)Take out all wood and at the same time as replacing the remaining rooms floor with concrete, include the front room too?

Sponsored Links
Option B........cuz the rots caused by lack of ventilation....the existing solid floors stop any flow of air under solitary wooden one :idea:

Option B........cuz the rots caused by lack of ventilation....the existing solid floors stop any flow of air under solitary wooden one

Does anyone know of a good web site that can indicate how to put in a slab, dpm, insulation, screed etc in a house already built without continuing dpm into dpc in wall?

Thanks
Jono.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back