ELI Test On Smoke Alarms Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you do a ELI test on circuits containing Smoke Alarms? I know you cant do IR tests on them , but not sure about ELI. Can someone please clarify

Sponsored Links
Why wouldn't you? As an EFLI tester draws around 25A it may operate a B6 mcb, Zs = Ze + (R1+R2) can also be used.
There is a requirement to IR test all circuits before energizing, wether you disconnect the smokes or join p&n together and test to earth is up to you. Have you got a copy of GN3?

Yeah but couldnt find about smokes. Just thought current from ELI light damage circuit boards in smokes, thats all. Cheers for reply

They are just the same as any other circuit, you need to prove it will disconnect. I wouldn't touch the interconnection wire with any instrument with smokes connected though.

Sponsored Links
If its a TN-S system can i just presume 0.35ohms? Or do i have to test it with a meter?

Measure Ze using ELFI tester!! Add this to your R1+R2 reading from the smoke circuit.
Ze for TN-S is max 0.8ohms. You need to verify this to confirm the earth has been connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back