Email Notification WITHOUT "My server requires authen..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I wonder if someone would be able to help me. I have searched just about everywhere on the net (I'm a bit old you know, so probably looking in the wrong places) and I can't find what I am after.

I have installed a 8 camera DVR system and need the DVR to send me an email when it gets a motion alarm.

Now, everything is fine, except that in the menu of the DVR I do not have a check box that says "My server requires authentication" and because of this the emails are not getting tho. The boxes that I have filled in are:-

SMTP:
Port:
User:
Password:

I have tried lots of different accounts like Hotmail, Gmail, GMX, Live etc but now know that all of these require the authentication box to be checked (which I don't have on the DVR)

I also have a 'proper' email account which is accessable thro Outlook Express (again, I have the authentication box checked on my computer to access this mail) and of course this won't work for the DVR either....

I really hope I have explained this correctly - it makes sense to me ! lol !

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I did think of that disinfo, but disregarded it as the email has to be sent from the DVR not the PC ....

If I set up the server, would the DVR still be able to get to it ?

Also, I tried to find a free one but could only find ones that you have to pay for (unless you are limited to 10 a day etc)..... I'm not that clever on the interspider thingy !! lol

I did think of that disinfo, but disregarded it as the email has to be sent from the DVR not the PC ....

If I set up the server, would the DVR still be able to get to it ?

Also, I tried to find a free one but could only find ones that you have to pay for (unless you are limited to 10 a day etc)..... I'm not that clever on the interspider thingy !! lol

Im presuming that your DVR has an ethernet connection and connected to a home router or something.

If that is the case then yes, you would need to run the SMTP server on your computer then input your PC's IP address into the SMTP option of your DVR.

It would mean leaving the computer on which may not suit your needs.

A free SMTP server is avalaible from softstack, its simply called "Free SMTP Server" while not the best, its suitable to test with.

Please note, some ISP's may block outgoing port 25 in their efforts to prevent spam.

Sponsored Links
Hi Disinfo

Yes, that sounds the job !!

The DVR is on ethernet, and its not a problem leaving a PC on - I never turn the desktop one off anyway !

I'll try it tonight and see if it works...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back