Emergency Light in Electric Cupboard - advice

Sorry - my "normal switch" was a bit unclear. The point I was trying to make is that there's noting wrong with a basic non-maintained EM light with a non-keyswitch switch in the permanent live to it.
And what do you think will happen with that switch ? Will it a) always be left on because everyone in the house understands it's function fully, or b) get turned off, and left off, sooner or later because not everyone does ?
And when it does get left turned off, what happens to the battery in the light ? Hint, what happens to the cell in the pack that contains the least charge when the pack gets fully discharged ?

Sponsored Links
And what do you think will happen with that switch ?
I think it will be used as a light switch.

To turn the light in the cupboard on and off.

And when it does get left turned off, what happens to the battery in the light ?
Eventually it will discharge.

Hint, what happens to the cell in the pack that contains the least charge when the pack gets fully discharged ?
Hint - people should not leave the light in the cupboard on, and they can learn that.

Easy option is just to have a socket in there and use combined pir/torch/emergency light. Comes on in event of power failure or removal from cradle , light or torch mode , long life led . £7 from Lidl , in the event of failure just replace .

Hint - people should not leave the light in the cupboard on, and they can learn that.
So you think it's completely OK to design a system that automatically damages itself if the user is forgetful - and bearing in mind that there are multiple other options that aren't so afflicted :rolleyes: And what if the user actually wants the light on for an extended time ?

I take it you have never, ever, not even once in your life, forgotten to switch a light off ?

Sponsored Links
So you think it's completely OK to design a system that automatically damages itself if the user is forgetful
So those who make emergency lights make products which damage themselves if an emergency lasts for an extended period?

- and bearing in mind that there are multiple other options that aren't so afflicted :rolleyes:
Bear in mind that there are multiple other opportunities for users to damage things by being forgetful.

And what if the user actually wants the light on for an extended time ?
I judged that unlikely.

the cupboard is used to store a few other things, they wanted a light in it to use as per a normal light setup. They then wanted the light to still work, if the power was cut and they (or an installer) needed to work in the cupboard. There is a Sky box, network hub, etc plus some vacuum parts, brushes etc in there.

I take it you have never, ever, not even once in your life, forgotten to switch a light off ?
I have.

I've also had cans and bottles fail when I forgot I'd left them in the freezer.

I've also had toast burn from being left too long under the grill.

I've also had pans run dry and burn from being left on the hob for too long.

I've also had car batteries go flat because I forgot to turn off an interior light.

I've also had mugs of tea stewed to undrinkability because I forgot to take the bag out, and others which went cold because I forgot to drink them.

And in none of these instances did I blame anybody or anything but myself - I certainly did not bleat about a system damaging itself because I was forgetful.

Your point is?

Your point is?
That you are advocating a setup which quite avoidably includes a quite foreseeable error needlessly damage the batteries in the light. Putting the switch in the supply to the maintained function will achieve the same effect for the user (flick the switch, light comes on) but without the chance of leaving it on causing completely avoidable damage.
Yes, an extended power cut will do the same battery damage - but the difference is that it's not avoidable.

Simon - I think it's time you started having a go a TTC - you wouldn't want to be accused of arguing for the sake of it by only arguing with me.

Why me?
Like many threads there is nothing to contribute until the OP provides an update.
If you and others want to exercise your keyboard skills with unnecessary points scoring in the meantime then go ahead. But leave me out of this.

Because you advised the same as I did, but Simon has only been criticising me. I advised him that that could easily be seen as arguing for the sake of it.

I have one, thanks.

It's more likely that those who delight in criticising me for saying something but ignoring others who say the same thing are the ones who need to take a long hard look at what motivates them.

That you are advocating a setup which quite avoidably includes a quite foreseeable error needlessly damage the batteries in the light. Putting the switch in the supply to the maintained function will achieve the same effect for the user (flick the switch, light comes on) but without the chance of leaving it on causing completely avoidable damage.
Yes, an extended power cut will do the same battery damage - but the difference is that it's not avoidable.
Whatever.

I have one, thanks.

It's more likely that those who delight in criticising me for saying something but ignoring others who say the same thing are the ones who need to take a long hard look at what motivates them.
You were only criticised because you were wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back