Emergency: no heating or hot water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - hoping someone can help me!

I have a Glowworm Ultimate boiler which has worked fine until 2 weeks ago. Now I have no hot water or heating.

The boiler appears to be working - I.e. the pilot light is on. But it doesn't matter what combination I have (hot water only, central heating only or mixed) - there is no hot water anywhere.

Immersion works fine so there is water in the system.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The hot water you get from the taps is not the same water as in the boiler and CH system, they are kept seperate. Immersion working and HW at the taps is not an indication of water in the CH system. ;)

Chances are its an electrical problem. Is the time clock working, and if so, are you able to test for power at the boiler?

The hot water you get from the taps is not the same water as in the boiler and CH system, they are kept seperate. Immersion working and HW at the taps is not an indication of water in the CH system. ;)

Chances are its an electrical problem. Is the time clock working, and if so, are you able to test for power at the boiler?

The boiler feeds both the hot water cylinder and the central heating though? Neither work. The clock works fine ... the boiler works fine.

The boiler heats the contents of the cylinder via a heat exchanger (usually a coil of copper tube) within the cylinder, thus keeping the water in the cylinder supplying the hot taps, and the water in the boiler/rads/etc seperate. (Boiler/CH system is usually fed from a seperate smaller cistern in the loft).

Pilot light indicates there is gas to the boiler, but for the boiler to fire and heat the water it needs a power supply when there is a call for heat. Are you able to test for mains voltage at the boiler?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back