Emergency Stop Button

Yes, that's one of the issues to be considered, but with a large cutter like a panel raising cutter, cutting the power will have little effect. What's needed here is not one of those silly flappy things, but a proper e-stop button with trigger action so that it will not fail to both latch, and break the circuit.
Would even that do more than 'cutting the power' (which you say would "have little effect")?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No, but you were talking about accessibility.
I was, but your statement that "What is needed here is ... a proper e-stop button..." was immediately after your statement that "cutting the power will have little effect", so I wondered if I was missing some clever features of a "proper e-stop button"!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Appreciate all your help, I will try this when I get a chance.

By the way, I found what I first described but it doesn't appear to be sold any more:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...oliid=ICVOPYOFKRR1X&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
Charnwood W025 NVR Safety Switch
61hb6JugLRL._SL1000_.jpg

Is the router designed/safe for continual use ? If anything goes wrong and you've cable tied the switch "on" you're on your own legally

And again, doesn't meet the British, European or international standard for e-stop devices.

Which means the importer has to demonstrate in his Technical File how he has met the essential requirements of the Machinery and Low Voltage Directives without using a device that complies with the standard. Sadly, no-one polices the CE marking, until there is an accident.

And again, doesn't meet the British, European or international standard for e-stop devices.
Do we know that either of the linked products claimed to be an "e-stop device"? Both were described as "NVR switches".

Kind Regards, John

What happened to my reply?
I pointed out that the use of a red actuator on a yellow background indicates that the device is suitable for emergency use, and that colour combination shall not be used on other devices.

What happened to my reply? ... I pointed out that the use of a red actuator on a yellow background indicates that the device is suitable for emergency use, and that colour combination shall not be used on other devices.
I suspect that the reply to which you refer never got posted, since I don't recall having read that information before. In terms of what did get posted, about the nearest you got was:
The ones with a sprung flap on the front, as in Eric's second photo, and (unfortunately) used on many small machines from Axminster and similar, do not meet the European and international standards for emergency stop devices. There's a case before the European Commission, trying to have them banned...

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back