Emptying rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
as i am renovating my house and have all the carpets and furniture out the way i thought id have a play with the heating system.
its a combi boiler (about 7/8 years old) with 6 or 8mm micro bore pipework to rads, i was thinking of removing all the rads and emptying/flushing them through with a house pipe to remove any sludge that may be in them.

i thought draining the system might block up the micro bore if there is any sludge so therefore i ll take the rads off.

then i was going to put them back, re-fill and fire some fernox super concentrate in for good measure.

Do you think this would help the efficiency/performance of my heating system ?

i might put a water softener in too.

cheers
andy b

Sponsored Links
thanks burnerman,

im quite sure that the pipework is clear as all the rads get hot

could i put fernox in when:

1 rad is empty
2 rad is filling
3 rad is full ?

cheers
andy b

Leave one convenient radiator empty, and inject the inhibitor into that one through the rad bleed valve. If you need to, have one of the bottom connections loose so the air can be displaced.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back