Micro Bore system - should I convert?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a central heating system which consist of 8mm micro bore pipes.

The heating system has never really seemed to get very hot or put out a lot of heat. Essentially I have 4 radiators downstairs and the same up which are all run to with the micro bore pipes.

I realise if the system doesn't seem very good/get very hot there could be a large number of different causes, sludged radiators etc etc.

We are at the moment in the middle of doing a bit of renovation on the house and was just wanted to get peoples opinions on whether I should convert to normal pipe size. Id be intending to be using he new plastic pipe (good idea?).

Any opinions advice welcomed.

Bonce

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Don't know about the plastic pipes but I'm currently replacing microbore with 15mm copper in a house we've just bought.

The previous owner had a host of problems with radiators not performing and the manifolds (?) getting blocked.

She had it power flushed and treated several times but it never performed well.

Hope this helps.

F

Sponsored Links
For a system to work properly with 8 mm tube it has to be very carefully designed and maintained. For most domestic systems it was never advisable.

10 mm can work well but again only is well designed.

The norm is 22/15 mm and most professionals would prefer copper !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back