Emulsion bring off old paint - distemper crisis, what will stick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice appreciated for painting a small but awkward shaped under stairs cupboard in my Victorian terraced house. The plaster was probably reskimmed 50 years old and painted magnolia many years ago. I started putting on new Dulux matt white emulsion today with a roller and it's all peeled off leaving a chalky dusty white powder under the magnolia paint that won't scrape off any further. I think it might be distemper.

What's the easiest way to go from here to get paint to stay on the walls? As it is basically a large cupboard it doesn't have to be living room pristine. I can't be faffed to sand down the walls both because of the mess and being an enclosed space the dust will get through any cloth face covering I wear - can't find FFPs anywhere these days.

Is there anything I can prime the walls with? I did wonder about whether an oil based paint would work - I have an enormous tin of Dulux wood gloss but am not sure if that would work? Then I came on here and see mention of Zinsser but they do umpteen different products so not sure which one to go for?

If I get Zinsser do I just wash off as much dust as I can then paint over the plaster? I haven't got the paint off one wall yet, can I Zinsser over it or do I need to emulsion it first to get the old paint off? The once I've put primer on how soon can I paint over it?

I don't particularly care what the interior of my cupboard looks like so long as it has white walls and not bare plaster....

Sponsored Links
You should be able to remove it with warm water, if it is distemper.

Once dry you will need a mistcoat on the bare plaster.

It may not be distemper - it may be that a mistcoat was not applied to what you describe as 50 year old re-skimmed plaster.

If the surface is as dusty as you describe, once you have removed as much loose crud as you can, a stabiliser may solid things up.

Last edited:
So would a primer like the Zinsser range work and if so what to get? Tried misting once before in another room and still the paint wouldn't bond properly so seems a lot of faff if it won't work and still have to try sometyhing else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back