en suite shower dramas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my en suite (powershower) has been leaking and actually dripped on my head when my wife was showering and i was downstairs watching tv.
Had good look and i am happy that the water pipework and waste pipe is fine. i am sure that the walls are letting water through. All the flooring, plasterboard and woodwork is pretty knackered, so i am going to have to rip the whole lot out.
Once stripped out i will replace the chipboard floor with WBP and any respective woodwork that forms the studdedwalling.
The thing i want to know, is when i replace the 3 plasterboard walls, do i need to plaster first or can i tile direct, if so which side is best?
Also do i need to apply a bond coat of sorts to a) assist with tile adhesion and b) add to the waterproofing?
Also, is there a better way of sealing or waterproofing where the tiled walls meet the shower tray?

Cheers

Lee

Sponsored Links
Just seen a thread on Tanking, it sounds brilliant, is iteasy to use?

No need to do anything to the plasterboard except tank it. Yes it's easy to use. It's nice when people decide to do things properly.

Thanks,

any views on plasterboard/wall board (dunno the difference) thickness?

9.5 or 12mm

Sponsored Links
is it best sh plasterbaord tothetop of the tray or down to floor level(leaving a slightgap) and slottingthe tray in after the PB?

As you have the chance to start again, my 2p of advice would be to take ages making sure the walls are square, so the tray will slide nicely in. All my walls are skew, which also makes tiling look shyte if you are not careful.

Tanking on plastered walls seems to be the advice for the best waterproofing. Make sure you use a suitable adhesive for shower areas. Then leave it plenty of time to dry before using it.

No expert, but learn from my mistakes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back