en-suite / wet room questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening to all.

I’m here this evening looking for some advice if you would be so kind.

I’m currently taking on my latest project, that being my new ensuite.

The wife and I have found it difficult to decide between a traditional shower tray and screen or a more modern wet room. We are leaning towards a wet room which brings me here with questions.

I have narrowed things down to what I believe, after hours of research, to be the best option - an Impey Aqua Dec for tiles and the Impey tanking kit.

Question time.

1) Am i on the right track with the above items? Shower tray will be 850mm x 1100mm so i can get the 1200 x 900 dec and trip it down

2) We are wanting underfloor heating, i see the membrane is rated to 150W which is fine, that’s what is as going for anyway, but what brand and fixed or loose wire system?

3) I don’t believe i need a de-coupling mat with the Impey tanking so I’m leaning towards the mat type.

4) subfloor is timber floorboard, i am not there there are any boards under the current bath, if there are no floorboards, do i rip it all up and put a new floor down? I see a lot say to shy away from chipboard flooring BUT with a membrane tanking and tiles is it such a big deal?

5) How should i make up the floor layers? Timber flooring -> 6MM Ply??? -> Tile Backer/Insulation board??? -> UFH Element -> Self leveller????? -> Tanking -> Tiles. I’m not sure i need levelling or not but presume i do to provide a flat surface for the membrane to adhere too.

6) Should i tank the full bathroom? Or just the wet area + 600mm as per spec, the room is prettt small, I’ll attach a piccy

7) On my last bathroom project i used Mapie adhesive, grout and sealent - should i be aiming for the same here? My last was a bathroom with no UFH. I guess i need flexible adhesive and grout here?
8) I am looking at Grohe concealed showers with rainfall showerhead, not on a surface mounted pipe but coming from the wall with a handheld head too. Can anyone recommend other quality units?
9) Beading/Edging - I have always thought tile edges should be finished with a form of beading/edging, i am currently at a hotel where tiles are just finished on their edge with no aforementioned products, is this a case of preference or what?
10) forgot this one, UFH under tiles in the former?

Room is 1810w x 2140d x 2480h - approx 3.9Mt2

I Could spend all night writing down questions but i wont bore you all just now.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated too.

I know i am probs best splitting my questions down and posting to the relevant forum area but figured the bulk would be best suited to plumbing and/or tile

Cheers
2019-10-14 23_14_20-3D room planning tool. Plan your room layout in 3D at roomstyler.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back