Eneregy Ratings - New System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is going on with the energy ratings? Apparently the system changed in March this year. A+++ has gone to be replaced with just A, not sure how it works. A washing machine I was looking at was marked as A+++, I then discovered under the new system it was D. How can you tell which system a machine is being marked under?

I think the new system is supposed to leave room for machines to get more efficient, so all machines go down a few levels under the new system but the thing that gets me is the lack of notice being given about which system a machine is being rated under. It was supposed to have changed in March but how do you know if a shop is actually using the new system? They will obviously want a machine to show a high rating. Is there a symbol which shows the rating is under the new system?

Sponsored Links
Watching this thread with interest.

I can understand the reason for the change as typically almost every appliance these days is to the what was a+++

I do use the energy rating info for a fridge or fridge/freezer, the annual usage divided by 50 is what I expect it to use in a week, they are never as efficient as claimed, so divide by 50 not 52 and about right.

However I tried with washing machine and the energy rating info is about as much good as chocolate fire guard. Every wash is different as the machine weighs the load, the fast you no longer get a hot fill except for specials designed for narrow boats, means in a home where the water is heated with solar energy that energy can't be used by the washing machine.

What is important is things like the drying cycle temperature, and how the moisture is removed from the air, I know my washer drier is very wasteful, it uses cold water to condense moisture from the air and is also too hot, so I use a independent dryer. Again my laundry room is not heated, or cooled, so a pipe out of the open window from the drier works well, but in the last house had a hole in the wall with the pipe blowing air outside, but the replacement air came from inside the house, not as with this house through the open window.

So all the air used has been heated, and is also more humid that cold air to start with, so exactly the same dryer, is far more efficient in this house to last house. Also in the last house there was a problem sucking air from the house, as we had open flues, in real terms the house had so many vents a depression was unlikely, however as we fit double glazed windows and better sealed doors houses do become better sealed.

I remember 1970's when we got married, we had a twin tub washing machine, and on washing day the kitchen was full of cloths, we started with the clean cloths and progressed to most soiled, and each group would use the same water, the machine would be filled a few times so on final rinse the water looked reasonably clean, but energy wise it must have been quite efficient in the use of water, and power, but rather inefficient in its use of labour, my poor wife was washing all day, and the car had to be parked in the drive as car port used to dry the cloths, must admit the car port between the houses was the best drying tool ever, the wind was directed by the houses through the car port, so loads of fresh drying air, if it rained the cloths did not get wet, and birds did not frequent the car port so no need to rewash due to bird lime.

So what I am saying the energy used to wash depends on the home, how humid the air is, how the cloths are aired, etc. We have a system boiler so a cylinder and cold water tank so have an airing cupboard, last house had instant hot water boiler so no airing cupboard.

So how can any washing machine be rated when homes are so different?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies folks. Ericmark - thanks for that but when testing washing machines they would test under the same conditions for each machine wouldn't they, so the energy rating comparison would be true when comparing one machine with another because they will both have gone through the same testing procedure. I suppose you would have to delve into the details of the testing procedure in order to see whether it tested the conditions that would suit you.

It seems to me that this is the symbol that an energy rating should have next to it if it's under the new rating system:-
New Energy Logo.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back