Energy report (SAP) advice and cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the planning process to build a heated workshop and i am told i need a SAP report prior to starting the construction of the building.

Does anyone know how much this would cost on average?

Also i'm not 100% sure on the type of insulation material i'm going to use yet, and this SAP report is kind or forcing me to decide now.

Where do i go to obtain this SAP report if i have no building yet standing to test the energy efficiency of?

Sponsored Links
You need the detailed plans and specification before the person can do the SAP calculation. All they will do, is take the details you provide and work out a rating.

They probably wont even jig things around or do anything else other than crunch the numbers.

So are you ready with those details?

I have the plans (self drawn) but need a structural engineer to draw up the specification plans.

So how much is SAP likely to cost?

£100 or so, it varies, cheapest online but that can be a bit rubbish if you want them to play around with things a little.

Sponsored Links
All the money which now has to be spent commissioning 'experts' in energy calculations would be better spent on improved insulation standards (just a thought).

Just a thought - how do you know what those improvements should be without an expert to tell you? :p

Just another thought: in the old Building Regs, they would just stipulate elemental U-values. That made life so much easier, without all this faffing about.

Hmm, spend an hour or so writing down some element make-ups to give to the SAP Eng and send him the drawings, he comes back and says add another 20mm insulation in the roof or whatever. Oh it’s just so much faffing about!

But everyone wants lots of glass, roof lights, knock-throughs and stuff nowadays.

Hmm, spend an hour or so writing down some element make-ups to give to the SAP Eng and send him the drawings, he comes back and says add another 20mm insulation in the roof or whatever. Oh it’s just so much faffing about!

Well, when I started out it was just 50mm fibreglass in the roof and windows as big as you want: as I said, life was so much easier :)

All that changed when electricity came in tony.

All the money which now has to be spent commissioning 'experts' in energy calculations would be better spent on improved insulation standards (just a thought).

Mmh, but Sabine Schmitz can get a transit van round the Nurburgring faster that Jeremy clarkson can a Jaguar S-type.. Sometimes knowledge and expertise makes the raw materials work better than just slinging another 20 horses under the bonnet and handing the reins to a cowboy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back