Energy saver bulbs - some work, some don't.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 bulb spotlight in my kitchen, which takes 4 40w non-halogen spotlight bulbs. These are in a straight line.

I decided I would try replacing these bulbs with energy savers. I went for spiral eOn ones which we use in te rest of the house and are great. 9w per bulb.

I put the 4 in an only the middle 2 light. If I remove the middle 2 the 2 end ones stay off. If I put one of the working middle ones to either end, it won't light.

Can you think of any reason why 4 energy savers wouldn't work and only the middle 2 would? At the moment the middle 2 are energy savers and the ones either end are the 40w normal bulbs - is this safe?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
poor contact between lamp and holder, probably. Are they screw-in?

Does the body of the lamp press against a plastic shroud as you are tyrying to push them in?

I'll be a tad ashamed of myself if that's all it is! I admit I didn't try tightening them any more than I initially did.

Yes they are the mini screw type. I don't think the bulb was touching anything when it was in.

if necessary, bend out the copper tongue from the base a bit so it presses harder against the tip of the lamp. If you have been running ordinary lamps it will have got very hot and may have taken a set. TURN OFF POWER AT THE BOARD FIRST

If either the lighting fitting or the lamps is American, the screw thread is a different size from European.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back