energy saving bulbs for dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

weird one this.

i just bought 2 of these new energy saving, long lasting light bulbs that are designed to work with dimmer switches.

i plugged them both in and found them quite noisey (buzzing) and difficult to turn on. you had to turn the switch on when they were on the highest setting rather than just anywhere like a conventional bulb. is this normal?

but then one of them stopped turning up so bright. it got worse and worse every time i turned it on until it was really dim on the highest setting.

i changed both back to my old convetional bulbs, but the problematic one still won't go bright.

i've tried swapping the bulbs round and tried other conventional bulbs but in that room the dimmer switch won't go beyond about 20W or so, or turn down very far for that matter.

is it possible the bulb has broken my dimmer switch somehow?

i really don't understand. can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is likely to have damaged your dimmer. There are leading and lagging dimmer switches and also a few other ways to control and these need to be matched to the luminair used. There are even some lamps where the dimming is built into the lamp and only a standard switch is used. Main thing luminair must match dimmer unit.
Eric

thanks.

but on the packaging it plainly says 'works with all dimmer switches'

is this complete nonsense then?

will i have to buy a new switch?

cheers

Sponsored Links
but on the packaging it plainly says 'works with all dimmer switches'

is this complete nonsense then?

Probably.

I tried some of these for a customer last year; after waiting 2 months for supply cos they'd all been recalled for not working properly, and newer, better ones were being made, we got them. They didn't work properly.

Varilight make low-rated dimmerswiches of around 20w that might work (You're under-loading a normal dimmer, they tend to be rated at least 40w minimum load), but if you stick a normal lamp back in it'll probably go poof.

They also make "switch dimmable" CFL lamps- you switch the light off-on, then it goes through an up/down dimming cycle, then off-on at the level you like. These are probably more reliable, but seem a bit of a faff.

thanks hairy,

just to be clear, these bulbs did indeed claim to be the world's first dimmer bulb to work in ANY dimmer switches.

this is the company:

http://www.govena.com/en;govena,products.html

surely a criminal offence to claim to work with any switch when they don't? especially when they break the switch!

so, a great idea, but beware if you're thinking of trying these.

that company again:

http://www.govena.com/en;govena,products.html

cheers

but its the old chestnut.

why buy / fit a bright lamp if you then want to dim it?

halsogens it does the halogen cycle no good, and cfls just cause grief and take out triacs (dimmer switches)

but its the old chestnut.

why buy / fit a bright lamp if you then want to dim it?

To give a choice of brightness levels to suit mood and room use at a given time? It kinda beats changing the bulb several times a day.

who said anything about changing a lamp? i didnt.

The idea is you install multiple lamps in the first place, each controlled by its own switch, that way you can turn on / off wht ever you want.

yes i know people will opt for a dimmer but its not always a good thing

the dimmer switch is great. it's the bulb that's the problem.

the dimmer is for my son's room. really bright for play and tidying up, medium for going to bed, and low for when he's asleep. perfect.

sorry mate, but £10 for a switch is far cheaper and takes up less space than multiple lights and switches or standing lamps.

so, i've bought a new switch and gone back to conventional bulbs.

also sent a email to govena. they replied, no apology unfortunately, but they are interested which dimmer switch it is.

thanks all.

We've found at work that dimmable flourescents including cfl's have a burn in period on a full brightness setting which can be as long as 36 hours before you attempt dimming them otherwise this can dramatically reduce itheir lifespan. I have done this with my dimmable cfl's at home and have had no problems with them since doing so, they dim up and down perfectly.

We've found at work that dimmable flourescents including cfl's have a burn in period on a full brightness setting which can be as long as 36 hours before you attempt dimming them otherwise this can dramatically reduce itheir lifespan. I have done this with my dimmable cfl's at home and have had no problems with them since doing so, they dim up and down perfectly.

Which makes them pretty hopeless as a consumer product, really.

If they need "burn in", this ought be done in the factory.

breezer: yeah I hear ya but the ole' dimmerswitch is a cheap, easy, convenient, uncomplicated way to get the desired effect.

Is anyone else having aggro with the new smaller sized incandescent lamps buzzing on dimmers? GE are particularly terrible for it.

Incandescent lamps are inefficient sources of light. Dimmed incandescent lamps are even more inefficient.

It's the old story — pay more at the outset and reap the rewards in running costs. As has been mentioned earlier, the efficient way to alter the lighting is to have a number of lights in the room and to switch them on as appropriate. They can all be low energy lamps then. In addition, you can alter the location of the burning lights to suit mood.

Felt I had to write with my experience of the GOVENA eco friendly bulb. I have just purchased one on e-bay for over our dining table, where a strong light is needed for close work, and a softer light for dining. At first, I did not fully understand how to adjust the lighting and thought the light was malfunctioning. When I read the instructions again, it became apparent that I had not understood how to fix the light at the desired strength. Allowing the light to cycle through its full range, I realised it needed to be stopped at the desired level of light by clicking twice in quick succession when it reached the required brightness in order to fix it at that level, whatever the need requires. It works perfectly with our dimmer. Hope this late comment is of use.

Stuff those dimmers, now that the inefficient lightbulbs are being banned, and install three lights in the living room, turn on one for a romantic mood setting, turn on two for an average setting, and all three for a bright setting, simpler and no more faffing around with burnt out dimmers and overpriced dimmable bulbs, saves on electricity costs too - unless it is against the 17th edition to install such a lighting circuit! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back