Engine cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder whether anyone can advise me about problem with my VW Golf MkIII.

The engine cuts out under the following conditions:

The engine is warm and the car has been running for a while.. I stop to refuel or for some other relatively short duration.. when I start the car it cuts out a couple of times before eventually staying on.. can be a pain pulling out onto a busy main road after refuelling!

It doesn't do this under any other circumstances... not when the engine is cold and car has been standing for longer than say 10 mins or so.. and not when the car is driving along. With one exception.. that was in the summer.. a few months after the problem had started... on that one occasion the engine cut out completely whilst driving along.. it wouldn't restart and had to be rescued.. the garage diagnosed a failed distributor and that was replaced. However, the original problem has continued (ie the cutting out after refuelling etc)

Any suggestions anyone? My garage said it was probably the coil and fitted a new one for £140. (that was after the new districutor). But that hasn't made any difference. I'm reluctant to get more bits replaced until I have a better understanding of what could be going on.

Earlier in the year there was a well publicized problem with cars being damaged by contaminated fuel. I don't remember the details, but have wondered whether it could have anything to do with that. Probably not, but nevertheless, with hindsight the problems did start at about that time. But I should emphasise the cutting out after refuelling has nothing to do with refuelling, just the time it takes to refuel, as when the engine is stopped for similar intervals of time it also cuts out.

Would be grateful for any advice or suggestions!

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
might be cold start mechanism delivering an excessively rich mixture even though the engine has not fuly cooled and doesn't need it. get someone to stand behind the car and sniff the exhaust at the times youi have this problem.

What year is a Mk III?

What year is a Mk III?

Its an R reg 1997

John, you seem to be a man of many talents! I'm just looking at your magnaclean photos in the heating and plumbing forum!

Your theory seems to accord with what a friend suggested.. that it might be a sensor not doing it's job properly? What will smelling the exhaust tell me?

rich mixture smells petrolly and sort of rich. With a bit of practice you should be able to tell the difference.

If the Cat is still hot it may absorb the smell though. Cold carts don't work.

It used to be a comon prob on cars with carburettors, sometimes you could see the "automatic choke" mechanism and tinker with it.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the car is overfuelling so Coolant temp sender. It's located on the coolant hose flange which is on the front of the head.
Should be under twenty quid, and simple 2 minute job to do yourself.
Unplug the wires, and either unscrew (older models) or flick the little metal clip out to remove it.
You'll lose some coolant probably so top up the expansion tank when you're done

Thanks very much, I'll look into this! It would be great if it were that simple! Fingers crossed.

Sounds like the car is overfuelling so Coolant temp sender. It's located on the coolant hose flange which is on the front of the head.
Should be under twenty quid, and simple 2 minute job to do yourself.
Unplug the wires, and either unscrew (older models) or flick the little metal clip out to remove it.
You'll lose some coolant probably so top up the expansion tank when you're done

Been looking at the Haynes manual and they refer to a "coolant temperature gauge sensor" and a "fuel injection/preheating system coolant temperature sensor" which are combined with each other (presumably in the same unit). Is that what you mean?

Thanks

Mike

mk3's had dodgy fuel pump relays.

check here for other possible solutions though.

http://www.thegolf.co.uk/content/ask_brain.htm

as chance would have it i have a spare relay although im not sure its suitable for your model.

Hi thanks for this and for the link which is useful to have! Where would I find the fuel pump relay and what does it look like? Is it directly connected to the pump in the boot under the spare tyre?

My car is 1.6 CL (engine type AKS, I think with Simos engine management system components, according to Haynes manual) What doe the relay cost?

Thanks,

Mike

they are only 10-15 quid new i think.

mine is from an AGG engine.

Sponsored Links
Back