engine revs and changin gear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bit new to this forum stuff, and also not very technical on cars..
just asking the experienced peoples opinion about my gf. who changes gear at 3 or 4k. she seems to be in a hurry and tell her to chill but to no avail.
would doing that use much more petrol (2004 micra) and if not can it knack up the timing chain in time? (no rubber belt as i checked)

Sponsored Links
It certainly seems a bit excessive, rev wise - but so long as she pays for the go juice etc..... :p
This won't effect the timing chain, but regular oil changes will help this.
John :)

To drive economically, you should change gear quickly and smoothly 3 or 4 thousand revs between gear changes, will just drink petrol and you will gain little extra time.

Wotan

White knuckle stuff sitting beside that, or do you sit in the back? High heels are the culprit, a nice sensible pair of flats and she'll be sorted? I'd say the timing chain is the least of your worries

Sponsored Links
Depends on how much she labors the engine. the extreme is a girl i know whom swore she had to get into 5th as quick as possible, even stalled going up hill, as she refused to change down!!
Hell my diesel rarely do i change below 3k :LOL:

all she will do is possible use a bit more fuel, But does the car good few revs once in a while to give a good clear out. If she is changing at 3k not even using half the rev range. I've see brand new micra's coming being red lined then just switched off so i expect yours has been fully tested lol

The other thing is throttle position.
is she full throttle to 3-4k and change or
light throttle to 3-4k then change this will use less fuel than a heavier throttle but changing early

Excessiv revs will always use excessive fuel which is one of the reasons for the diesels economy, most diesels develop their max torque at around 2000 rpm so that is the most economical speed to change up at - unless you are in a tearing hurry. I can get 60+ mpg from my C5 and 406 Hdi by driving them gently.

Peter

Excessiv revs will always use excessive fuel which is one of the reasons for the diesels economy, most diesels develop their max torque at around 2000 rpm so that is the most economical speed to change up at - unless you are in a tearing hurry. I can get 60+ mpg from my C5 and 406 Hdi by driving them gently.

Peter

Agree with most but quite a few desiels develop max power torque higher up the rev range now or at least the one I looked at vx is 3100 manufactures seem to be trying to get near a petrol . I get 40 driving in my on off throttle but if I drive like miss daisy I may get another 40miles to a tank. 450 to 490. So not worth the boredom LOL drive how I like, either way better than last car of 15mpg ouch
A few of the new petrols I have driven ( same driving style) I got simiular mpg as my derv. But they lack the grunt much past 70 and loaded up. Good ol torque

I briefly owned a BMW 5 series like that, dreadful engine unless you revved it, I kept stalling it, not particularly good on fuel either. The newer ones are much better with max torque at less than 2000 rpm I believe, and much better consumption. I know some do drive like petrol engines, waste of time if you ask me, one of the thing about diesel is that low down grunt.

Peter

I briefly owned a BMW 5 series like that, dreadful engine unless you revved it, I kept stalling it, not particularly good on fuel either. The newer ones are much better with max torque at less than 2000 rpm I believe, and much better consumption. I know some do drive like petrol engines, waste of time if you ask me, one of the thing about diesel is that low down grunt.

Peter

agree i think manufactures gone this way to try and sell more of them
I remember using the old 405 turbo that ran out of revs at about 4krpm when at the time my astra ran a 10krpm limit took some getting use to

10krpm in an astra... surely not...

in my transit connect i change gear at about 3k, wont go about 4 as it starts to die a bit.

my mazda revs to about 9 but you can change gear at 2k smooth enough.

10krpm in an astra... surely not...

Astra GTE mk2 the 16v one, modified slightly :D fully lightened and balanced etc rally/fast road heads etc, did have roller print out of 197 but in todays world that is only a warm hatch lol

yes monstrous engine, dont see them around at all any more...

all those of that ilk, rs turbos, novas, chavaliers... all gone

just asking the experienced peoples opinion about my gf. who changes gear at 3 or 4k. she seems to be in a hurry and tell her to chill but to no avail.
would doing that use much more petrol (2004 micra) and if not can it knack up the timing chain in time? (no rubber belt as i checked)
My wife drive the Volvo like that, gets as little as 27mpg, I can get up to 48mpg driving the same car.

That's fine for reaching open road cruising speed. eg, 40 in second, 60 in third along mway slip roads. But change up when going at steady speed.

Fuel would depend on what form that "hurry" takes. Lack of smoothness, poor anticipation and a lot of dabs on the brake to correct overspeed would be the main consumption killers.

Sponsored Links
Back