Engineered floor boards too long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for advice. I am looking to have someone fit engineered wood in the whole of my downstairs. I would like it to run along the same direction in each room seamlessly with no transition strips.

Problem is, the boards I really like are long and the rooms are small. The floor boards are 1800mm. I would only fit one and a bit boards length wise in the living room. Then I would fit a few in the hall, which would extend into the kitchen then only one or even less than one in the kitchen length wise due to the fact I want them to run in the same direction of the hall which is the narrowest length of the kitchen.

Is this going to look stupid?
Someone told me to just get the boards cut smaller so there are more joins. I don't understand how this can be possible unless you are cutting them to fit into a room due to the wall. Surely if you cut them smaller and then fit them together the bevelled edges would look cut and not natural?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Go and pick a range of boards that are shorter/mixed sizes.

You can have the original boards installed so the first board is say half length and then the joints can be spaced 300mm or so apart all the way across. It will have alot of wastage but it won't be like you say as all the beveled joints will still be there.

Otherwise broaden your search, take a look at higher quality non engineered solutions like balterio and you will be able to have more choice.

Long boards will look strange in the kitchen as you will be going against the longest length of the room.

Sponsored Links
You can have the original boards installed so the first board is say half length and then the joints can be spaced 300mm or so apart all the way across. It will have alot of wastage but it won't be like you say as all the beveled joints will still be there.

Otherwise broaden your search, take a look at higher quality non engineered solutions like balterio and you will be able to have more choice.

Long boards will look strange in the kitchen as you will be going against the longest length of the room.

Thank you.

I'll have a look at balterio. It will still have the feel of real wood? Would it add value to the house though, like engineered wood?

Not too sure what you are meaning about the joints being spaced 300mm apart, sorry. I'm clueless about these things.

It's really nice product, warrantied for 25 years in domestic but you are right vs real wood.

If someone likes the house but hates the floor the value is moot!

I guess ultimately it's up to you and your fitter should be able to advise on various solutions that meet the bill.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back