Engineered I beam floor joists - costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I am about to embark on an extension and was looking at using engineered floor joists (such as Steico) instead of solid wooden joists due to ease of installation of services. Does anyone know of the kind of costs before I specify these joists and blow my budget! Looking to use 200mm deep joists to match existing floor depth for a 3m span, probably Steico 200 SJ60 at 400 centres to prevent any bounce.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Consider contacting roof truss manufacturers as well as they often can make up these joists with calcs.

Looking to use 200mm deep joists to match existing floor depth for a 3m span, probably Steico 200 SJ60 at 400 centres to prevent any bounce.

Thanks

You won't get any noticeable bounce with 200x50 timber joists on a 3m span, and they will be a lot cheaper than those bits of OSB with reject tile battens top and bottom.

Sponsored Links
You won't get any noticeable bounce with 200x50 timber joists on a 3m span, and they will be a lot cheaper than those bits of OSB with reject tile battens top and bottom.

The engineered joists we use are 'Easi-joists' with a metal web as supplied by Trussform. An absolute boon for electricians and plumbers.

Looking to use 200mm deep joists to match existing floor depth for a 3m span, probably Steico 200 SJ60 at 400 centres to prevent any bounce.

Thanks

Not a fan then Tony.

Easier to drill for services - the benefit.

How do you fit noggins . . . .

Floorboards are generally glued to them (ours are)

I get the feeling they flex more but difficult to quantify.

It is one of those things like chipboard flooring and steel studding- a benefit to the builder but not the owner.

If you're gonna use them then consider fitting either deeper beams or at closer centres to reduce the bounce, which can be bad. I've lived in new builds with them, very bouncy!

But totally agree the easi joists can be an absolute boon for getting a bog pipes and other services through.

It is one of those things like chipboard flooring and steel studding- a benefit to the builder but not the owner.
And this sort of thing:

truss_roof.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back