Engineered oak floor how to lay.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to aquire acout 120m² of Oak Engineered flooring that was removed from a building after only being down for a few weeks. Its got a good 6mm of real oak on top and is 22mm thick overall, so it looks like it's good quality.

It has got small traces of glue left on the touges and grooves but nothing on the underside. But it was carefully removed with no damage to the T&G's

My question is how do i re lay this as all the guides i've found talk about glueing it down with adhesive! I thought it was glued together along the T&G and pulled together with a flooring strap / clamp and 10mm gap left all around the edge which will be hidden by the skirting board.

1) What underlay should i use over a concrete floor? The concretehas a
brown coating over it some kind of DPC possibly?
2) What glue should i use? Is normal PVC interior wood glue ok?
3) Can any one recommend a way to finish the flooring neatly around a brick
hearth? I don't really want to stick a bit of beading round the edge as it
always looks like an after thought?

Any help much appriciated as i've never tackled a floor like this before.

Sponsored Links
Does this look like an after thought?

fireplaces.png

As for installing your floor floating, how wide is your room, and how wide are the boards?

No it looks much more in keeping with the floor. I've seen some really nice wooden floors spoilt by 2" quadrant being nailed down around the edge to hide the expansion gap.
Is that the opposite prifile to quadrent i think it's called socita.

The room is about 4.5m x 4m?

Sponsored Links
The cover used in the image is called a flat beading - made of solid Oak - with one rounded edge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back