Engineered Oak floor in kitchen. Just checking some details

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wife has changed her mind on flooring in the kitchen :rolleyes: It was going to be black tiles but now she wants a wooden floor. Were it up to her then it'd be £10 sqm from B&Q but i prefer to try and do things properly so that it'll last.

I have been looking at engineered oak from a popular namesake around these parts and obviously the price is a little different from the cheapo laminate stuff. Specifically I am looking at 15mm thick 4mm top layer oiled boards.

So, the kitchen is 2.7m x 3.05m giving me 8.235sqm or about 9.3 if I add 7% for waste. Those figures are for if I were going wall to wall which i have little intention of doing. We laid the snaploc suff in my parents kithen wall to wall (with an expansion gap) but in the summer it starts to come up at th ejoins where i guess it's expanding but cant move properly for the weight of the units.

So allowing to go under the front of the units by 10cm with my plan gives me an actual area of 4.85sqm which becomes 5.2sqm if I add 7%.

On that basis I only need 2 packs (3.06sqm each), a roll of DPM (concrete floor covered in 50y/o 20mm thick tiles) and a bottle of glue.

So now the questions for those that are still with me.

a) Is 10cm under the front of the units sufficient? we'll be fitting kickboards so I can't see how it wouldnt be.
b) Do I need anything else?
c) Is there any chance they might be opening another showroom nearer Croydon in the next week?:LOL:

Sponsored Links
a) yes
b) with DPM I think you mean the combi-underlayment that includes both the dpm and the sound-insulation you need? Have you thought about thresholds? Also, where appliances go, use plywood of the same thickness as your floor and underlayment so you can move them easier without lifting them up)
c) come to Kent ;)

by thresholds i take it you mean doorways? in that case not s much.

And do you actually carry any of this stuff in store to take away or is it all order only. I should call about this but someone gave the phone a bath :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
In between doorways, yes and you should think about it ;)

You can email us, see our profile, to discuss what you need and what we have in stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back