Engineered oak: Unfinished Vs Brushed Oiled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought 90 m2 of enginnered "6mm oiled oak top layer on 15mm marine ply" and unfortunatly have been delivered the same spec but in "unfinished oak". The company told me that they don't have any oiled boards left in stock and as a gesture of goodwill have offered me a refund or if I want they will oil/finish the supplied oak boards at their own expense once the floor is installed.

I really like the looks and quality of the floor but I am very nervous to accept their offer as I have been told that the finish, durability etc of the applied oiled once the floor is installed will not be the same as if the oil is applied when manufactured in the factory.

Has anyone have any views on this? If I decide to accept their offer which oil should I ask the company to apply and how many layers? Will the finish/durability be worst or better than a pre-finished board? How messy will the job be (i.e. do the boards need to be sanded before applying the oil)? How long it will take? Any guideline on cost if I will ask for a partial refund and then subcontract someone to do it? Thanks for any help or comments on this

Sponsored Links
Oiling a floor on site will indeed never give you the same result as a factory prefinished on. It is however doable (even for a DIY-er) if you use the correct tools and products. I would go for HardWaxOil (2 coats). The floor needs a light sanding after it is installed to remove spilled adhesive and greasy fingers before you apply the first coat.

If you like the look of brushed & oiled, just oiling the unfinished floor will not give you the same appearance.

(side-note, we - well our manufacturer - have plenty of brushed & oiled natural duoplank in stock ;))

gg - I would recommend you go for a refund then source the flooring you originally specified from elsewhere ... a nuisance, but maybe less grief than the additional work needed to finish the floor. I agree with WYL ... you'll be disappointed with finish 'cos you'll forever be comparing it with the original spec finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back