Engineered wood floor 6mm or 4mm advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was looking to lay solid wood on concrete but have now decided to lay engineered instead. Ideally I'd like a 6mm top layer but have got some samples and they all seem to be 21 to 22mm thick which is going to end up being higher than the stone floor in the adjoining room.

If I went with this option how would I deal with the difference in height in the doorway?

The safest option would be for me to get 14/15mm boards but these only seem to have a 2 to 4mm top layer. How much difference in durability would I be losing over the 6mm layer? Ideally I'd be buying oiled and re-oiling every year but I'd like to have the option to sand it down if and when needed.

I'd appreciate any input you could offer.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The safest option would be for me to get 14/15mm boards but these only seem to have a 2 to 4mm top layer. How much difference in durability would I be losing over the 6mm layer? Ideally I'd be buying oiled and re-oiling every year but I'd like to have the option to sand it down if and when needed.
Why would you need to re-oil your floor every year? Good quality pre-oiled wood-engineered flooring - be it with 6 or 4mm top layer - only need maintenance applied to them every 5 - 6 months, not re-oiling.

6mm (20 - 21mm total thickness) gives you a more rigid board that can tackle small unevennesses in your under floor better than 4mm (15mm total thickness). Also, 21 is load-bearing and can be installed directly onto joist.

If your underfloor is level a good quality wood-engineered with 4mm top layer would be very suitable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back