Engineered wood floor for shed outer wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited a job lot of oak engineered flooring.

I intend to use it for the floor and inner wall of an insulated shed/summerhouse, for which I’m confident it will be fine.

I will, though, have some left over and wondered if it will be ok used as an outer wall, either fixed to battens or plywood/OSB. I’d treat it with appropriate weather protectant and seal the ends with an overlapping board.

I’m motivated more a desire to recycle than by saving money from not buying oak feather edge or boards that I’d be otherwise using.

I think it will be ok. Does anyone have any experience, knowledge or advice?

Sponsored Links
You could try it, but external cladding is usually designed to expand and contract, and throw off water.

Engineered flooring might not meet the tolerances required for effective external cladding.

Bear in mind the top veneer is a thin strip of hardwood glued (probably with an interior quality glue) to pine or similar softwood, again they work fine inside but might "move" relative to each other in outdoor conditions.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back