Engineered wood floor in shower room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I had a good search about, but didn't find what I'm after. Apologies if I missed it.

I am going to put some engineered wood down in our new shower room. I appreciate it is not the ideal material, but I already have the wood from a previous job. It is 14mm thick total, with a 4mm oak face and oiled. If it doesn't last its not a massive job to change.

My question is about the adhesive. PVA is normally used along the tongue and groove join, but PVA is water soluble.
Would a clear silicone sealer offer enough bond and join seal, or is there a better product based on SBR Bond?

SBR Bond seems to be targeted towards concrete products, and doesn't mention wood in the tech spec at all, not even in the limitations section.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would float it on an underlay, not glue it to the t&g or to the subfloor, as it will be easier to remove when it is damaged by constantly being under damp or worse conditions.

Blup

Ahh, sorry for confusion. Yes, it will be floating.

The full periphery will be clear silicon sealed as well to stop water ingress.

My main concern is water seeping into the floating floor joint and breaking down the PVA, or other adhesive, when people are stepping out of the shower, etc

Where there is increased traffic around the shower (or in a kitchen by a washing machine) the laminate will decline more rapidly including the area around the v grooves that ensure an initial tight fit between boards. A waterproof glue will degrade along with this.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Is the engineered lacquered, Uv Oiled, Oiled or Waxed?

If it's not lacquered, the joints with PVA will be the most moisture tolerant part of the install. If the floor moves, it may well damage the shower tray and any pedestals.

The full periphery will be clear silicon sealed as well to stop water ingress

I wouldn’t advise using silicone where an expansion gap should be - it could cause the floor to heave upwards. I know silicone is squishy but not on a long run

Just float the floor, and don’t glue the joints, if anything get some more oil, apply liberally, getting it into the joints.
You may need to repeat in years to come.

Oak is not the idea choice in a bathroom, bamboo would be better, just be careful throwing loads of water around and leaving it it sit.

Yeah, if I was buying new it would be a very different choice, but i've got enough flooring to do it twice.
And when i say silicone sealed, i mean under the skirting just to stop any water migrating that way, not the expansion gap.
Thanks guys

82743EA1-13C8-4612-B651-18DD2A1B95CD.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back