Engineered wood flooring - finishing around stairs etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm soon going to be laying engineered wood flooring throughout most of our downstairs including living room, hall and dining room (standard click-lock planks) - I've laid similar in my previous home but in a simpler room and just used beading around the skirting to cover the gap.

This time I'll be removing all the skirting boards and refitting to get a better finish than adding beading, but I'm not sure how best to handle where the floor will meet the bottom of the stairs and our French doors - I'm guessing I probably just need to use some sort of joining strip?

I've added some pics below to show where I mean (the stairs will be carpeted).

Thanks for any help or advice!

Sponsored Links
The stair carpet will cover any gap there so shouldn't be a problem, well it certainly does in my place :0

The stair carpet will cover any gap there so shouldn't be a problem, well it certainly does in my place :0

I figured that might be the case - but I'm still unsure about the stair post - is it ok to cut a small section out for the flooring to tuck under or would this be a complete no-no?!

I wouldn't cut into the post. Leave a small, even gap, and buy some flooring silicone, they do loads of colours to match most wood colours.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't cut into the post. Leave a small, even gap, and buy some flooring silicone, they do loads of colours to match most wood colours.

Thanks, that makes sense - would you suggest doing the same thing for the threshold of the French doors?

For the french doors, I would remove that sill, and go right up to the door (-10mm), and then fit either a small wooden or plastic strip over the top.

For the french doors, I would remove that sill, and go right up to the door (-10mm), and then fit either a small wooden or plastic strip over the top.

For the doors, lift the plinth and cut a lip out that can over lap the new floor and allow for expansion, or remove completely and fit a floor fixing square edge profile a cross the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back