Engineered wood with carpet insert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking to fit engineered wooden flooring around a non rectangular room to create a rectangle fairly centrally where I can fit a carpet into. The current floor is wooden floorboards covered with carpet, most of which I have already removed. I do not intend removing the skirtings. I would appreciate any guidance regarding installation of the wooden flooring to keep it in place. I would like it to be minimum 300mm (a foot) and more where required to get the rectangle in the middle. What kind of underlay ? I guess a trim is required to cover the 10mm gap to the skirting ? I was thinking of a trim tacked to the current wooden floor on the inner edge of the engineered wood flooring to help form the rectangle and hold the engineered wood in place, but then there will still be the 10mm gap at the skirting end to allow for expansion. Is this a risk of movement ? I appreciate, in advance, suggestions to make my DIY project successful.

Sponsored Links
Hi, you can bond the engineering floor directly to the existing floorboards using Mapei Ultrasound S995 or similar. To avoid the typical cover strip at the skirting junction I would install a "C" section channel between the carpet and engineered flooring abutment. This serves as a few purposes. 1, will give you a fixed transition to fit the carpet up to. 2, Will allow some tolerance when cutting the flooring & 3, allow expansion and contraction. The end abutting the skirting can then be tight / neat cut.

Hello cAtLeYx. Thanks for the advice. I think I get your meaning but where can I get the C section channel from ? What is it made of ? How and what does it fix to ? How does this give me the same effect as the 15mm gap to the skirting ? Is it visible when fitted ? Don't I need underlay ? The Mapei web site read up on Mapei Ultrabond ECO 995 suggests that I would not be able to gain access under the floor boards once this adhesive is used on these floor boards. Is that wise ? If the wooden flooring is glued to the current wooden floor, then there would be no risk of expansion or contraction, right ? However, if the engineered wood did try to expand/contract, would it not break the Mapei Ultrabond glue seal with the base wooden floor ? Please recognise that these questions are from a DIYer. I am not questioning your skills at all. I would like to understand what I am doing and why and the implications before I plan the work and spend money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back