Engineering - simple bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making a simple bearing for a handle - if I put a couple of little grooves in as per my example. would this help keep grease from squeezing out of the ends ? or would it be better off without the grooves.
xSB.gif

this will be the centre pivit for a handle to turn on (close running fit)

it will be 10mm dia and the grooves 0.6mm deep!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The grooves will help retain the grease - most of it will be pushed out without them, and a spiral could be better.
Have you come across a material called Oilite? It’s a porous bronze that holds oil.
John

Put o rings in the grooves and grease in between ?
it is a pivot point so I doubt O rings would work
The grooves will help retain the grease - most of it will be pushed out without them, and a spiral could be better.
Have you come across a material called Oilite? It’s a porous bronze that holds oil.
John
Never heard of Olite, but have seen plenty of brass type bushes, may be they were Olite.

By a spiral do you mean
xSB2.gif

I doubt I have the know-how to machine that in (but it would be fun learning), could even do a left hand spiral too, would create a type of frosting!

what depth would the groove be, 0.25mm ?

none of this is really necessary (it will hardly get used and last for about ever dry) but I just like playing and learning.

Sponsored Links
Oilite is a curious material made from either sintered brass or bronze - the sintering process means that oil or light grease can actually percolate through it.....it turns well too and is a perfect material for bushes.
The spiral will absorb lubricant well, and if your lathe has a thread cutting facility it will do just that - although you’ll need to be well practiced to get it right! I’d go slightly deeper, maybe towards 0.5 mm.
You’ll find as you get involved that it’s best to use dissimilar materials for bushings, to take wear into account but cast iron is a useful material due to its free carbon content as a lube.
Good luck with your projects - great to learn about machinery and cutting tools this way.
John

I doubt I have the know-how to machine that in (but it would be fun learning), could even do a left hand spiral too, would create a type of frosting!

A spiral is used, where the direction of rotation is always the same, to 'screw' the oil or grease back where is comes from. I remember seeing one on a car crank shaft, used to return oil splash back to the sump, as the oil seal between crank and the flywheel.

Moggie thou, Marina, Ital Harry!
Overfill and prepare for the oil slick or clutch farewell......
John

They were very environmentally advanced - you didn't have to scrap them at the end of their life, they simply disolved!

So did mine. I got a lot of welding practice on that car - gave up when there was more weld than steel ! ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back