Tap Washer - simple Q

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Small basin, simple mixer - two tap controls, one outlet, aging (c.25yrs fitted), cold control as it happens.

This was dripping (out the spout). Never brilliant and for a while needed effort to shut off fully.

No service valves! Unsure what to buy so came away with two sizes of vacca washers. 5/8" looked just the job but can't measure it now as all fitted and it has stopped the dripping (although the tap is no easier to turn).

My question. The old tap washer was different - measurments below. Could I/should I have bought a different washer as I've had to drill the centre of this one to accomodate the (hex headed) retaining screw which has an OD larger than the diameter of the hole in the vacca washer bought.

The old one, bear in mind age and use, measures approximately vis:
OD 5/8"
Step Dia 14/32" - accomodates hex head (replacement doesn't have this)
Hole Dia 7/32"
Thickness 3/16"

Short of a photo, I can't explain the step any better. :oops:

Edit (photo)
View media item 37176

Sponsored Links
Rogue washers appear from time to time, but you've done a good job with this one, it seems.
The hex. end usually unscrews to allow the new washer on, if you didn't find that out!
Stripping the tap down and greasing the spiral thread and gland will help the turning issue if you want to go further.
John :)

Do you think the new one (fitted, not shown) is a rogue one?

- as the old one, photographed, had room for the hex head and sufficient sized hole to take the screw (external type fitting over a tiny thread).

Yes, took the sprial part down, looked in okay nick, and re-greased it (well, I used vaseline to be honest). The body of the tap is worn/sticking - bit of a thingy to get back together actually, I might have to clean it out better next time.

Sponsored Links
Put it this way - so long as the new washer, trimmed to fit or not - stops the water dripping and doesn't come adrift from the brass thread then this job is a complete success! A 25 year old tap doesn't really owe you much, and what you have done is a good move.
Vaseline is the ideal lube for these things - I should have mentioned that - and a few turns of PTFE tape under the gland nut should keep it leak proof.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back