enlarge Loft access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The access to my loft space is very small Iould like to increase the size to enable a header tank to be installed.
However, this would involve cutting through one of the roof beams (I have no idea if that is the correct term) - easily enough done but what would be the consequences/solutions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a truss roof (skinny timbers, internal members in a W shape), or an old type, cut roof?

I don't know :oops: - I'll take a camera up there tonight and hopefully someone here can help me after that :) - or should it be on the stairs and lofts bit rather than buildings?

It is a 1970's mid terrace (and generally built as cheaply as possible I'd say!) so I think roof trusses are quite likely. It is a town house type - i.e I have a room on the 2nd floor with a dormer window - the 'loft' is above this room.

Thanks for now

GALLERY]

Not roof trusses as far as I can tell. :D

The first picture is not to show off my hideous paint work or even what a loft hatch can look like! but to show the wall location in relation to the current hatch and as can be seen on the right of the picture the glass section of 'wall'. The beams/joists currently appear to span this wall whether glass or blockwork and extend from the beam to the wall on the oposite side. The wall to the left is to the neighbours.

The hatch is curently approximately 350mm wide - so I want to remove a section from one of the beams /joists to widen it. - can I do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

100+ views - not a single response - is it so obvious it's not worth replying?
or such a bad idea no one want's to comment?

maybe all the roofmakers are out making roofs.

Should be alright, double up everything to be sure, including the whole length of the joist in the extreme left of picture three.

Hi

100+ views - not a single response - is it so obvious it's not worth replying?
or such a bad idea no one want's to comment?

heeelllooo tockalex

imagine you are on a train containing 100 people how many would you assume where carpinters or roofers :D :D maybe one if your lucky

just be patient information is free and usualy very accurate ;)

as delux says double up on the joist and the trimmer ;)

just an idea?why dont you board up your original trap hatch and if possible cut a new 1in a position where you can make it to a size which is more beneficial to you.trim every thing up,install a lining/stops/hatch and architrave and bobs your aunty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back