enlarging doorway in stud partition wall?

5 Oct 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom

We have 3 closet wardrobes and I want to replace the doors with nice modern sliding mirror doors.

My problem is that all the standard sets of sliding mirror doors are intended as floor-to-ceiling designs and have a height of about 2220mm.

My doorway height is around 1990mm, with the ceiling height being 2.4m.

It's a stud partition wall. Anyone know if it would be difficult to enlarge the doorway to make it taller?

Ths comes down to a cost issue. B&Q sell sliding door sets for £70 each, whereas a pair of made-to-measure mirror doors to fit my door frame size come to about £300 a set.

Thnks for any advice!

~ muppetina
Sponsored Links
it might be easier rather then messing around with adjusting what you have,is to take it all down and re build as necessary.
Unless you need extra height access you can just put the higher doors in front of the opening, they don't HAVE to match the opening height.[You would only lose the depth of the track around 80mm.]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links