Enlarging internal door latch spindle hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be the simplest question ever but I just want to make sure I get it right.

We had some handles on the (pine) door which we are replacing with new.

The centre piece on the new handle sticks out from the back of the handle by about 2mm...

...so this needs to sit inside the hole already drilled in the door to enable the handle to sit flush against the door. Unfortunately the holes diameter (12-13mm) is about 2 or 3mm smaller than the piece that sticks out on the handle (15mm) so I need to enlarge the hole.

Should I:

1 - Enlarge the hole with a small round file
2 - Use a hole saw
3 - Drill through with a 15.5mm drill bit

Bearing in mind I don't yet have a file, hole saw big enough or a large enough drill bit, what is my best option? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could enlarge by running a hss bit around the hole gently at high rpm, acts like a file.Need to keep it under control or you get a much larger hole.

You could enlarge by running a hss bit around the hole gently at high rpm, acts like a file.Need to keep it under control or you get a much larger hole.

Thanks, well that's something I could do because I do have some drill bits that could do the job.

The other thing I just thought of is, how about a 16mm countersink bit considering we're only talking 2mm?

Sponsored Links
just carefully drill through(each half)with a bigger drill bit.

Unless you're going to use a stepped drill then anything else will rattle around the hole like nobody's business. You need something self centring.

If you don't want the expense of a stepped drill then you could make a small jig to be used even by a flat bit.

a hole saw would do a neat job, but will need you to clamp a block of wood to the other side of the door that the pilot drill can run into, to hold the hole saw steady.

If you have a large blacksmiths twist drill, at low speed, it will tend to centre itself in the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back