EPDM Shed Pent Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm pretty much decided on replacing my felt shed roof with EPDM, just got a few questions I'd appreciate some advise on.

Is Firestone EPDM of higher quality than the likes of Shed over?

What is the easiest method of application? I'm concerned that contact adhesive sets fully on contact which may make removing air bubbles or creases impossible?

Would there likely be an issue installing in the current warm temperatures?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There are lots of EPDM installation videos on Youtube. Generally a water based adhesive is used , with contact adhesive only at the edges and details.

Warm, dry weather is your friend. It will help the EPDM relax flat quicker when you lay it out. It is also necessary for the boarding that it's going on to be bone dry - if it's damp you will get bubbles and ripples.

Thanks for that, most videos do seem to use a water based adhesive however I am looking at a firestone kit from permaroof which only comes with contact adhesive. Would you advise against this?

Water based is the standard way to do it, Firestone or not. For what it's worth, I get my supplies from:

http://www.rubba-seal.co.uk/

Compare prices. They have some good installation videos on that site, too. Do your research then you'll have a good idea of what you're doing.

As to advice, I'm just an amateur who has successfully done two large EPDM flat roofs.

Sponsored Links
Hot weather makes it easier to get it smooth, but when I did my flat roof extension a few years ago it was a very warm and sunny day and once the EPDM had been spread out on the roof to 'relax' it was not possible to handle it without gloves and I couldn't kneel on it wearing shorts for more than a few seconds........ just so you know ;)

it was not possible to handle it without gloves and I couldn't kneel on it wearing shorts for more than a few seconds........ just so you know ;)
Very true! I took a square of scrap OSB up with me and knelt on that.

Thanks guys, I contacted Permaroof who confirmed water based is a much easier application. They only provide contact adhesive in the kits as it can be used all year round whereas water based needs to be minimum 5 degrees. Will go with water based and contact 100mm round the edges.

Hi guys, I'm pretty much decided on replacing my felt shed roof with EPDM, just got a few questions I'd appreciate some advise on.

Is Firestone EPDM of higher quality than the likes of Shed over?

What is the easiest method of application? I'm concerned that contact adhesive sets fully on contact which may make removing air bubbles or creases impossible?

Would there likely be an issue installing in the current warm temperatures?

Thanks in advance.
If you laying EPDM on a new wooden deck you can use a water based adhesive which means you can brush out any wrinkles or bubbles that appear, contact adhesive is used for sticking the membrane upstands to walls and around skylights.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back