Equation to work out how much stones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to get some stones put out in the garden.

Looking at gettting at least a tonne bag (i think that should be enough) But worried that it mightened

the stones are 40mm in size, is there an site/equation i can go to work it out to see if thats enough?

Sponsored Links
what stones are you putting down and in what circumstances. When i usually put things like slate chippings down etc, i usually work on the basis of a bulk bag covering about 15m2, but you can spread thema bit thinner, but risk exposing the ground covering underneath

just around the garden where i have bark (borders) , will be putting down an underlay.

Also in some areas where i have decking, the drop from the decking to the bark is 6", would like the stones built up to that height.

I have pink stones at the side of the garden, i shall possibly be digging them out and filling in the 6" depth with these pink stones, then topping up the last 1.5-2" with the new golden yellow stones.

You could ask at the builders merchants what coverage a one tonne bag will give you at a given depth (I'm thinking 75mm will be the minimum depth for this size of stone but dont take that as gospel)

If you want a more accurate estimate, you could buy a 25 kilo bag to begin with, spread it at the depth you require and measure the area it covers. Multiply this area by 40 and you have the approx coverage of the tonne bag at the same depth.

The second option also gives you a chance to see how it looks in situe.

Sponsored Links
In general most materials in bulk bags take up 0.75m3. Does not matter the size of the stone etc.

Therefore you can then work out the area that it will cover depending upon the thickness you go for. I would suggest that 25-40mm depth is required, try to go for the 40mm end if you can. It will give a better quality look and will last longer as the stones will settle over time.

However you are going for 40mm stones, which I presume you are going to lay in a layer of 1 stone. Therefore 0.75m3 will give you approximately 18.75m2 at a depth of 40mm. Simply divide the 0.75m3 by the depth that you want, in the case 0.040m.

Try and use a landscape fabric under the stones if you can as it will stope the weeds growing in the future and stop the stones sinking into the soil. Presuming that it is on soil.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Fat Lady said:
In general most materials in bulk bags take up 0.75m3. Does not matter the size of the stone etc.

Therefore you can then work out the area that it will cover depending upon the thickness you go for. I would suggest that 25-40mm depth is required, try to go for the 40mm end if you can. It will give a better quality look and will last longer as the stones will settle over time.

However you are going for 40mm stones, which I presume you are going to lay in a layer of 1 stone. Therefore 0.75m3 will give you approximately 18.75m2 at a depth of 40mm. Simply divide the 0.75m3 by the depth that you want, in the case 0.040m.

Try and use a landscape fabric under the stones if you can as it will stope the weeds growing in the future and stop the stones sinking into the soil. Presuming that it is on soil.

Hope this helps
Andrew

OK, firstly, the builders merchant i use sells sand, ballast etc by the cubic metre but it sells stone by the loose tonne so assuming it will be exactly 0.75 cubic metres is a bit previous.

Secondly you start off by advising a depth of 25-40mm, then having realised the stone is 40mm, you up it to 40mm, which aint gonna be deep enough cus he won't be placing individual stones down in one layer (that wouldnt look very natural)

only when the stone is on the ground will you know the true depth required.

I know you mean well but im posting this cus when ever ive asked a question, the best advice has always been from people who actually read my post...(you advised him to use underlay and he already said he is!)

or you could use my rule of thumb, for the countless bulk bags ive shifted and laid!

Well, modernmaterials, apart from the fact that I did not read his second post and missed that he was using underlay, I do not see that my post is not informed. How do you know that I am not a qualified landscaper with 10 years experience, which I am, incase you do not get it.

For your information it is quite standard to assume that 1 tonne of bulk material, whither it is stone, sand etc is 0.75m3. The different materials do not differ very much in density and so it is a reasonable assumption to make. Also it may be OK for a DIY job to see what the coverage is like when it is on the ground, but what about if you are laying 50 or 100m2 and have quoted a customer. They are not going to be too happy if you go back and ask for more or leave them with bulk bags to get rid of. Or indeed it will probably just come straight of your profit as a price for the job has been agreed.

Therefore 0.75m3 is used as a standard measurement for quotations.

I was well aware that he was laying 40mm stone and was just trying to add some extra information for general interest. Also if he is intending to lay it much more than 1 stone thick then it is going to get expensive and quite thick, you will get much less that even the 15m2 which thermo was talking about at even just 2 stones thick. 4cm for a stone is relavtively large. Most gravel laid for paths etc is 18-25mm.

Also the origional poster talks about using a depth of 1.5-2 inches, 2 inches being 5cm. So with a 40mm (4cm) stone you are not going to get much more than 1 stone depth. Maybe modernmaterials should read the whole post. Sorry to sound a bit upset, but I am only trying to help and it seems that modernmaterials is voicing his or her opinion for Nickcardwell. I would prefer to hear Nickcardwell's opionion on the quality of my post.

The 15m2 seems like a good rule of thumb thermo, not just as suitable when working out how much hardcore you require for a 100m2 drive way at 100mm depth. But absolutely fine for a path or small project.

Thanks
Andrew

well its never let me down yet on big or small jobs, and it always gives the decent covering without showing the membrane underneath, which happens when people penny pinch or get the sums wrong!

As for hardcore thats a whole different ballgame!

I would agree, nothing worse than penny pinching. Bottom pinching, now that is something else :LOL:

Maybe what we should advise is that as a 40mm stone is quite big, a sample bag as modermaterials suggests may not be a bad idea.

However he did ask for an equation, but if he gets a sample bag and finds out what depth he wants then he can use the 0.75m3 figure to have a good guestimate of how much he will need.

Bye
Andrew

Thermo....your rules of thumb sound like a proper Sussex way of reck`nin ;)

Sorry to hijack but pointless doing another thread.

Whats the best stone to walk on bare foot (if any)?

Moderator Note

No its not pointless doing another thread. it means answers are confined to your question and makes it easier for people to do a search on the topic

Hightowermark said:
Sorry to hijack but pointless doing another thread.

Whats the best stone to walk on bare foot (if any)?

Ouch!

You ever tried to, on any stones?

No as i'm putting it outside the kitchen the ground very patchy with diffrent kinds of cement etc and looks very ugly. So if i need to run to get washing in etc will slate be better or even something like pea shingle.

Hightowermark said:
No as i'm putting it outside the kitchen the ground very patchy with diffrent kinds of cement etc and looks very ugly. So if i need to run to get washing in etc will slate be better or even something like pea shingle.

Well Wickes do bags of beach pebbles. But to be safe, why don't you get some square decking panels to make a safe path through?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back