Erecting a new roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to build my own roof on a derelict house in greece. The span is 7.2 meters and I calculate the spars will have to be 4.2 meters. It has to be clad in clay pan tiles. There is not a load bearing wall to hang any cross members on so the wall plate and spars will transfer the roof weight.

Question. What size wood should I use for the spars?

Will the roof stay up without cross members? :(

Sponsored Links
You may get away with 175mm x 50mm rafters at 400c/c, depending upon pitch.

But, you are gonna need some pretty beefy floor/ceiling joists!

Have you thought about using roof trusses, or is not an option in Greece?

Is it your intention to use the loft space?

Hi,

Thanks for getting back - first time I have used the site so I hope that I am replying correctly.

Manufactured roof trusses are not an option as most new / renovated houses use lots of steel and concrete rather than stone and wood. My site is also off the beaten track and so getting trusses delivered is a non starter hence building the new roof myself.

The dimensions of the building are 7.2m wide x 8.5m long. The walls are 2.4m high and a gable at each end another 2.4m high.

I have built a central pillar from floor to roof approx 4.8m high with a supporting wall at 2.4m on one side. This will break the roof length into two - 3.5m and 5m. I want to run two floor joists of similar length onto which I can attach roof cross members to give the roof some support as well as forming both a 'room in teh loft' and something to attach plaster board or wood for the ceiling.

What do you think now about timber sizes?

Stuart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back