Understanding Drawings For A Mono Pitched Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am currently building a single storey extension at the rear of my house. I have got up to roof level which is going to be a mono pitched roof, my drawings state :" 275 x 75 hips with dragon ties" Could anybody shed any light on what part of the roof the drawing is referring to as I am in the dark. I can follow the rest of the drawing with ref to wall plates, bearing plates and spars. This is the first time I have embarked on such a project so please excuse me if I have just asked a stupid question many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
NHBC guidance.....

7.2.S8e.5.gif

Hi Denso thanks for the speedy response. I have looked at those drawing previously but I am putting on a mono pitched roof with no hips so I cant see why hips have been specced in the drawings

That is a massively over-specified timber.

Those ties are also a bit of throwback to the 16th century, or clueless design. Hips take very little load, and roof spread is controlled in other ways.

Sponsored Links
but I am putting on a mono pitched roof with no hips

If that's the case then it sounds like whoever has done the drawings has used a previous job spec and forgot to alter it all. Happens all too often.

Great stuff it did cross my mind that might have happened, spent the last two days surfing the net to try to identify where on a mono pitched roof the hips are situated but to no avail. I appreciate your input woody and denso so tomorrow im off to buy my materials minus a great chunk of 275x75 cheers guys

Dragon ties are a great addition to a hip especially when you have accidentally taken too much material out of your hip seat cut.:whistle:

Top tip: Always allow for or fix you smallest jack before fitting the dragon. The second of those images, the one with the broad ply dragon gusset, will interfere with the last jack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back