Erecting new Fence using Feather board and Rails etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current wooden fence being some 15 years old with 3 x 3 posts 4ft high in the ground with individual panels.

It is now needing replacement before the winter. My plan is to use 'post spikes' in the ground helping the posts from rot, using '75 x 47' x 3 rows of horizontal rails and attaching 'feathered edge' boards vertically at 1.8mts high on top of wooden gravel boards.

My question: As the current 1.2mt high posts survived some 10/15 years in the ground and now wanting to use spikes. But increasing the height to 1.8mts and that the posts will at 1.8 cts. Would 3 x 3 posts be sufficient @ 1.8 high or should I go for 4 x 4 posts.

Sponsored Links
Post spikes are certainly not be up to the job of holding up 6ft of fencing. You need to use 4x4" posts and concrete them in to at least 18" depth.

if you're going to the trouble of digging a hole and concreting them in, use concrete posts

Post spikes are certainly not be up to the job of holding up 6ft of fencing. You need to use 4x4" posts and concrete them in to at least 18" depth.

Even at 1.8mts apart ?

if you're going to the trouble of digging a hole and concreting them in, use concrete posts

We don't want to see concrete posts as I've seen they are slotted, we prefer to see all wood. ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
they look fine

View media item 975

dark brown masonry paint is easier to match with dark brown fence stain, but I suppose you could do it in bright blue if you wanted. Concrete posts and gravel boards last many times longer than wood.

Use Concrete 'Soliders' - stub posts which the timber post is bolted to.

what I call "spurs?"

I use them as well, but they are not as heavy so I think maybe not as stable for a big fence.

Mine are also painted to match.

I bet you can't see them.

View media item 978
good for a low post-and-rail too

View media item 979

Yes - that's the item - different areas call them by different names...

If you are putting up 4x4 wood posts use 4x4 spurs - typically 3'6" to 4' long - you want about half that in the ground.

Thanks peeps,

I've opted for 4x4 posts coated with bitumen set in concrete.

Yes all materials used are treated, the area of the posts set in concrete will have a coating of bitumen to help protect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back