Escape route question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the rules on emergency escape routes from a residential property? I've read some of the bumpf online and can't quite fit my scenario into anything I've read.

Basically my back garden has no easy exit (tall fence and an 8' drop on two sides) save the side alley running between the house and garage. If I rebuild the garage and eliminate the alleyway my only emergency exit from the rear of my house via the back garden would involve going throught the back door of the garage and out the front, or kicking the neighbours fence down, or dropping 8' to the ground after going over my rear fence.

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
I thought escape routes were to get you out of the building. I'm not sure that extends to the garden once you have escaped to it. :D

It usually applies to protected escape routes, ie stair wells, hallways, etc if the building has more that 2 storeys. Up to 2 storeys you are allowed to jump out of a window or be rescued by a muscled young man in a uniform up a ladder!

It gets more complex if there are more tha 2 storeys. The Building Regs contain all the criteria.

If the yard/garden is enclosed, the depth of the space must be at least equal to the height of the house, for it to be classed as a place of safety.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I did actually manage to find the right regs (I think).
As best I can tell the bit about enclosed gardens being longer than the building is tall doesnt apply to single domestic homes.

I plan to put a discrete back gate in the fence when I replace it anyway just in case - if I'm in the back garden with a burning house collapsing towards me I'll take my chances running across the garage roof behind me!

As best I can tell the bit about enclosed gardens being longer than the building is tall doesnt apply to single domestic homes.

It applies to any dwelling where the rear garden or yard is enclosed and exit could only be achieved by going through other properties.

Principally,of course, this would apply to mid-terrace houses, and also back-to-backs, but there could be situations where detached or semi-detached houses have the rear blocked off (eg with a garage or side extension with no doors or windows).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back