Espag length, does it matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does the length of a replacement Espag matter? I know I need a 22mm inline but the current length is 750mm. Seen some on Amazon for £15 or so but they’re usually 250mm-400mm. They’re the only ones I can get delivered tomorrow before rain hits Tuesday/Wednesday.

Would it being shorter matter? I assume it’d still work fine if the cams line up and I can always move the stays if not. The only downside I can think of is having holes in the window but I can fill them.

Failing that, what brick and mortar shops tend to sell the espags? I can’t seem to find any. They’re all online.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
I don't understand. Your French Windows are presumably about 1950mm high, so what is the 750mm? Or the 250-400mm?

I don't understand. Your French Windows are presumably about 1950mm high, so what is the 750mm? Or the 250-400mm?
Sorry. Window is about 900mm high. The current espag is 750mm. Wondering if the 250 or 400mm would still work.

Sponsored Links
I think you mean a multipoint part for a plastic window. I don't understand how a different size will fit.

A photo would help.

There are quite a lot of parts on Ironmongerydirect

I thought they were called espags?

All that’s different is the lengths and the receiving part on the frame are just two metal bits that you can unscrew and relocate. So I’m just wondering if it’s just a case of filling the holes from the previous espag if you bought a shorter one.

Traditionally, an espagnolette bolt is surface mounted to wooden French Windows, with a geared handle mechanism and long bolts running to the top and bottom of the overlapping door, where they secure into the frame.

I misunderstood what you meant.

1697407102749.png

The 22mm backset is crucial but the length of the espag isn't but you ideally want to replace like for like, the shorter the length espag means the casement will not be being pulled in tight in the corners because the cams will be further inboard. You will almost certainly need to slide your existing keeps over to suit the new espag even if you fitted the correct length, different manufacturers all place cams in different positions

Traditionally, an espagnolette bolt is surface mounted to wooden French Windows, with a geared handle mechanism and long bolts running to the top and bottom of the overlapping door, where they secure into the frame.

I misunderstood what you meant.

View attachment 317174
No problem. Thanks.

The 22mm backset is crucial but the length of the espag isn't but you ideally want to replace like for like, the shorter the length espag means the casement will not be being pulled in tight in the corners because the cams will be further inboard. You will almost certainly need to slide your existing keeps over to suit the new espag even if you fitted the correct length, different manufacturers all place cams in different positions

Yeah I thought that may have been a downside. It’s not a huge window it is old so think I’ll just have to suck it up and order one for longer delivery.

Do you tend to fill the holes if you move the keeps? What’s the best thing to use for that?

Thanks for your help.

If you bought an 800mm unit, could the arms be cut shorter?

So James says he wants 750mm, but you think the readily-available "800mm" will fit?

The 800mm won't be an 800mm, it'll come as 750mm, James has no doubt measured the existing espag rod and it measures 750mm but on the websites it's probably listed as an 800mm, I don't know why they do but as an experienced service engineer I know what they mean, I know when it comes it'll be a 750mm, it's almost as though they are listing the overall casement height for you, again I don't know why but they do

Another example is a 300mm friction hinge will actually be 290mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back