ESQCR restrictions on number of incoming dwelling supplies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could somebody please tell me where in the ESQCR that states that a single dwelling (building) is restricted to only one incoming electrical supply. This I understand is due to safety for emergency services (fire service) , when a single supply & cut out will ensure that all electrics are isolated.

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nor is there a requirement to provide any way for the Fire Service to cut off the supply.

This I understand is due to safety for emergency services (fire service) , when a single supply & cut out will ensure that all electrics are isolated.
They'd have problems round here - most are located in dark damp dingy cellars. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I know the supplier we had was very instantiate that two step down transformers should not feed same building I think they were worried that the two supplies could get joined and as a result switching off one 3.3kv supply could mean it was not dead.

But if from same transformer then no problem.

So have I but they were owned by the company who owned site and not the supply company.

Likely it was something personal that that engineer felt and not a regulation but he would only allow a second transformer if he got an under taking that no building would be supplied from both.

Since the two overhead supplies were from different switched supplies it would have been handy as rare did both go down together.

Many thanks for all the replies to my query.

The reason for my query is because the incoming 3-phase supply that currently exists services 4 individual multilevel apartments. I am planning to separate one of the apartments into 2 flats..thus require a new 5th meter.

I have been given differing advices from EDF and various electrical contractors. EDF has been telling me that my electrical contractor needs to install a Ryefield Board and meter...I have always thought that any equipment before and including the meter was the responsibility of the network and supplier...ownership issue.

The alternative solution from EDF was to install a separate incoming supply and meter (located separate from the existing electrical cabinet housing the existing main fuses and meters). However, EDF's sub-contractor, during his site visit, stated that a separate incoming supply would not meet Health & Safety regulations....as I had mentioned earlier in my original query.

My experience with EDF, having spoken to numerous of their managers and engineers, each giving differing opinions on this matter, is that there so much confusion in providing services to customers' needs.

I can not wait for this sector to be nationalised once more!

I was just thinking - man wearing rubber boots, gloves, fire-resistant clothing, facemask.......... carrying an axe......... needing to cut off the power.........

:confused:

A fireman is unlikely to go into a burning building to try to locate and pull the live service fuse etc!

Perhaps someone knowledgeable will advise us how it's really done. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back