Established decorator/refurbisher wants to go structural.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am a director of an established decorating and refurb company who wishes to gear up for structural work. We have been asked to give a ball park price for creating an opening between two rooms in a basement. The house is a 4 story mid victorian terrace (tall stuccoed type). The floor is concrete. Can anyone advise what this is likely to cost and range of work that might be involved. I know that I cannot price sensibly without structural calcs and drawings but getting jobs is often about giving sensible ball parks and indicating to a client what might cause the same work to vary. I have been given ball parks by builders I know between £6000 and £20000. Why such a difference?

Sponsored Links
The thing is in order to get these jobs you do need to have a grasp of the value of the work in order to inspire confidence in the client and also to make sure that there is a margin to be made there.

Sponsored Links
Stick to decorating mate. Do something you understand - or you'll come unstuck.

Are you planning to actually do the work or, as Woody suggested, sub it out to a builder and add a management fee?

Depending on what is sitting on that basement wall, it could be a difficult job with some very careful propping involved. Not one I'd want to take on myself as a first attempt :eek:

Indeed Ronnie , 4 flippin stories that have been jiggered by the Luftwaffe - NO WAY . Now if it was a bungalow in the sticks ;) .. I can`t slag the OP for wanting to expand his business - London is going basement living mad @ the moment - so I`m told. As to the builders prices - the lower they are the shorter time the builders have been building - dare I say in this country :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back