Estimate Cost of removing thick wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the design stage of a renovation project of a 1900's cottage. In order to get an open plan layout about 8m of stone wall needs to come out, and a steel put in, as it supports edge of roof.

Can anyone give a rough estimate to what we are talking, is it thousands or over 10k

I will get some builders in for quotes, but struggling at the moment to find anyone interested? Is the job to small? Or too big do you think?

Need the wall removed upto approx where the step ladder is.

DSCN0062.JPG

Sponsored Links
Pretty standard work, apart from lugging around a 8m beam I don't see why no one is interested. Maybe they don't like the thought of moving those big stones :D
Depending on the foundations/state of the walls etc 3-5k i would guess.

When you say 8M of stone to come out are you saying this is width of opening (from stepladder on picture to far wall??)
A reasonably rough estimate for this work to be done should be.

1. Structural engineer Design costs £600.00 up £1500.00 (they vary)
2. Building control £120.00
3. Wall removal (2 x competent tradesmen 1 week circa £1200.00)
4. Skips £250 per 8yd ( I would say at least 2, but the material looks good to recycle and possibly as a value)
5. Steel beams (depending on structural engineers selection) £350.00
6. Other materials, Padstones, sand , cement £30.00
7. Falswork and lifting kit ( Acrows for support, genie lifter to place beam) £120.00

A very much in the round estimate!!
Thats come out at approx £3500.00
Add in £500.00 contingensies and your job looks about a 4K Item.

I have left out making good the floor as this no doubt you will view as part of other renovations.

Thank you very much, that is all I was after a very rough idea as I had no idea if it was a £1000 or a £10000 job.
I will continue to find some builders to get quotes, as it is within budget.

Sponsored Links
When you say 8M of stone to come out are you saying this is width of opening (from stepladder on picture to far wall??)

That is correct including them door openings at the moment want that all removed.

I will also keep the stone, so will not need to skip, I have a bit of land I can use it.

Many Thanks

Having some SE calcs, size of beam/padstones/nibs for each end should help builders realise you are serious rather than a dreamer.

Having some SE calcs, size of beam/padstones/nibs for each end should help builders realise you are serious rather than a dreamer.

Great I will speak to the Architect to see if he can help with a SE. We have stripped the house back to bare stone so hope people can see we are serious to get this job done :)

So these calcs can all be done in advance of builder coming? Sorry never done this before

Yes
this way the builder and yourself are singing from the same hymn sheet and you know what is getting discussed

Just one thing to consider prior to pushing on with structural enginner, the beam (s) will be circa 8300mm long, just make sure that length of beam is physically capable of being brought into the room for instalation!.
dont panic too much if it wont come through doors or windows, it may have to have a hole punched through an adjacent wall to get the beams in the room. also a 8000mm effective span is quite wide! it dosent look like its to be massively loaded, but you may end up with the engineer selecting a deep steel section that would reduce your headroom, it may be you could use multiple (smaller sections) as the wall looks very thick, and thus maintaining headroom.

Many Thanks,

The wall is around 600mm deep, its sandstone, was built in 1900 back when they liked using stone in these old farm cottages. Above the wall is the roof, and the end timbers of a flat roof extension going out. The room height is 2650mm.

I have fired off an email to the Architect to see what happens :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back